Author Topic: Francis  (Read 27510 times)

Offline KenS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Francis
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
1861   Durham (DUR)   Hetton-le-Hole   Hetton Le Hole   Hetton Le Hole   Easington Lane
Surname   Forenames   
SMITH   William   Head   M   M   70   Tinsmith   IRL   Newry      
SMITH   William   Son   U   M   2      DUR   Easington Lane      
SMITH   Moses   Son   U   M   6m      DUR   Easington Lane      
SMITH   Margt   Wife   M   F   21      DUR   Porto Bello

Deb. Found William.

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken
I found Henry after doing the dna test. So many matches led back to Henry and so many matches to people in the gypsy camp at Scotlands lane. So many matches to people who were camped on the side of the road. Something was wrong with my well, researched family tree. Wrong grandfather for my mother as the dna showed.
I suspect Henry may have had bipolar disorder but would never be able to prove it. Family members have this.
I have quite a bit on Henry thanks to Jeff Johnston who posts on here.
Can you see my tree on ancestry? Look at the census page then go to pages either side to find William.
Regards
Deb

Offline KenS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb.
When I can afford to go on Ancestry I`ll have a look.    I use Freecen (free) or FreeBDM (free), helpful, and my sister is on the case, she can afford Ancestry(lol). 
If you look up:-
Sacramento Daily Union" October 20, 1868. The "Weaverville Journal" of October 17th.  Further info on that Indian killing of Burke mentioned earlier on here.
All the best
Ken

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken
I had another look at my dna and the thrulines by ancestry.
People with trees who are descended from Henry Smith and Alice Francis who match my mother 14. There are then many more who match but do not have a tree.
People who descend from a John Smith born 1818 in England and is probably a brother to Henry matches 5. John dies in America.
If I go back a further generation from William 1790 using the dna I get possible brothers for William, Gilbert 1784 who turns up in England, John 1786-1863, Our William 1790-1870 and another I named Smith and added  to my tree As I have no name but descendants.

Offline KenS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb.
You have put my theory into why H and A came across to England into disarray, I thought it was the potato famine, they came looking for work.    Smith what a name to research!!!    I`m from the Isaac line of Henry, in fact Isaac has been a name handed down all through even to my grandson.  Isaac was present at Alice`s death, and she lived with him in her final years, she must have been a hardy lass.
Just waiting for my birthday present..then I might be on your list!!
K

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 22:42 BST (UK) »
Ken I have matches that cannot be accounted for if the Smith line was not travelling in England before Ireland.

Offline KenS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 25 June 21 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb.
Just a quicky, probably you have this info anyway.  My sister sent the actual photo of marriage details from Gretna Green of Alice Francis and Henry Smith.   Looks like 3rd of October 1832.  No witnesses, and both just make their mark  x.     Both listed as from Houghton Le Spring.    Hope all`s well down under, if you get chance have a listen to my mate Gary on 4ttt radio Townsville, he does a blues show and a Saturday evening show. 

Ken 

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 25 June 21 21:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken
Yes I have that one. Thankyou
Deb

Offline KenS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 13 December 21 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth, Daughter of Rowena Francis(Scott) buried in Gillespie.   Elizabeth was the wife of Burke who was shot by Indians on his farm.   Looks like she led a long life.     

Burke, Elizabeth F.
01 Dec 1831
14 Feb 1911