Author Topic: Leather Sellers in London 1500s  (Read 2791 times)

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Leather Sellers in London 1500s
« on: Wednesday 09 February 11 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Morning all

While researching my GOATER/ GOTER and assorted families I have come across a GOTER family in the Boyds Inhabitants of London sheets.

The head of the family is William Goter who occupation is listed as citizen, parish clerk & leather seller and I have also found a reference in Google Books -

" William Goter, parish clerk and petty master of Allhallows Honey Lane, was a leatherseller and freeman of that company".

Can anyone direct me to where I can find any Guild records of the time? I am assuming that William had some position and money as there is also a record of one of his son's Paul (PAWLE) being admitted to Merchant Taylor's school in 1562.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Best wishes

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leather Sellers in London 1500s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 17:03 GMT (UK) »
evening maria
had a look round and what your after i think is the worshipful company of leathersellers if you go to wikipedia they have a piece on all the livery companies hope this helps
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline CompanyArchivist

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Leathersellers in London 1500s
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 February 11 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Maria,

Trevor is quite right. See the website of the Worshipful Company of Leathersellers, www.leathersellers.co.uk - which has details of how to contact me (I am the Archivist for this Company).  Our membership records are only complete from 1630 onwards, however.

Jerome

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 February 11 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies guys.

Trevor - I will certainly check out the wikipedia info. Thank you.

Jerome - I have sent you an email on your website. Found it fascinating reading - gave a really good picture of the background and history.

Best wishes

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 February 11 09:58 GMT (UK) »
hello maria
glad to be of service to you , the leather sellers livery co is a new one to me so yet again a new piece of info to store for future reference , it would be nice if you find anything out about your william goter and his involvement with the leather sellers co if you would post an update on it i,d be interested to know or if you wish pm me it,s always nice to get up dates on posts
best of luck with your search
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 February 11 11:00 GMT (UK) »
I'll update you with pleasure Trevor - thanks for all your help and interest.

best wishes

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline KJA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 March 20 03:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Miriam
re "William Goter whose occupation is listed as citizen, parish clerk & leather seller and I have also found a reference in Google Books -"

" William Goter, parish clerk and petty master of Allhallows Honey Lane, was a leatherseller and freeman of that company".

Recently I have been looking at the family of William Goter and your research confirms my suspicions:
that William Goter was in business in Cheapside - I note that his children are baptised at St Mary le Bow and St Pancras Soper Lane with All Hallows Honey Lane London. This is precisely the same church and same time frame and the same type of business  my ancestor was in  at this location. They may have been in business together. Even their children's names are the same, which to my mind seems to suggest that they may be brothers-in law. My ancestor's children moved to Somerset  circa 1550. Their father may have continued in London but I think he died circa 1556. I have done quite a bit of research into William Bycknel and can give you some references from British History Online.