Author Topic: Marriage of Richard Robinson or Robertson  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Lyndyr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of Richard Robinson or Robertson
« on: Wednesday 09 February 11 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
Am seeking help in accessing the parish registers of St Mary Rotherhithe for 1800-1814? Parish Registers online doesn't list all these dates on the CD.
I am desperate to find a marriage for Richard Robinson and Hannah Rae or Rea Chowne in about 1804-6. It is not on ancestry, or any other megasite. Hannah's family have lots of baptisms at St John Horsleydown until about 1803, and then the next baptisms are St Mary's Rotherhithe. Using that as a tip, I think they may have been married at St Mary's.
Can someone please advise me how to access these registers?
Many thanks
Lyndy

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Ancestry has the St Mary Rotherhithe registers online and indexed from 1754-1921 (under Southwark) - same coverage for St John Horsleydown.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lyndyr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Valda. I was hoping for a miracle, I have tried for so long to locate this marriage. Hannah came from a church going family, its inconceiveable the marriage didn't take place, they went on to have twelve children together who were all baptised somewhere! They went to Australia in 1814 with four children, can't find any of the children's baptisms either? The eight children born in Australia were all baptised, I have their records, just not for onesborn in England.
Is St Botolph's  Aldgate on Ancestry too? (How do you know if they are on Ancestry?) They were living in that parish in 1813
Thanks so much for you help
Lyndy

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Ancestry lists what parishes are online under the geographical headings of the modern London boroughs. Rotherhithe and Horsleydown are Southwark. St Botolph without Aldgate (1754-1921 online) is the City of London. The lists are in 'Browse the collection' on the right in the marriage section or baptisms, and burials.

Having children baptised isn't evidence that the family were regular churchgoers or that it makes it 'inconceivable' a marriage didn't take place. There may have been an impediment to the marriage or they simply chose to live together or married somewhere else like a parish in Westminster (Westminster Archives parishes other than Bishops Transcripts are not online though Findmypast does have the West Middlesex Family History Society marriage index) or married later. This is a period before stricter Victorian morality which was far more to do with inheritance and the middle classes.

Should you also be looking for the marriage in Robertson - Richard's alias which might be his real surname, he seems to move between both?

31st August 1810 St Mary, Whitechapel, Middlesex
Louisa Hannah Robertson parents Richard and Mary Hannah, Rose Mary Lane

same church

8th August 1810 born 6th August 1807
Mary Elizabeth Robinson parents Richard and Mary, Rosemary Lane

possible for Richard's baptism

10th August 1809 St Andrew Undershaft, London born 29th December 1808
Richard Robinson parents Richard and Mary

see

http://www.historyaustralia.org.au/twconvic/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=56&topics_offset=6&topics_sort_mode=lastPost_desc&forumId=1

for the names of the four children born in England
and

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?o=0&m=6220.1.2.1.2&p=localities.oceania.australia.nsw.general

for the possibility the mother's name was Mary Hannah

It is always best to start a new topic when you have a question rather than place it on someone else's topic. That way more Rootschatters will see it and hopefully help and you aren't diverting the original topic. I will split off your topic and start it as a new one on the London board.

Regards

Valda
co-moderator London and Middlesex
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lyndyr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Richard Robinson or Robertson
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Valda thank you so much, I am very new to Rootschat :-)
I really appreciate your advice.
All of those register entries look good!
Will go through them later today,
Grateful thanks
Lynsy

Offline CathyRobo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 December 11 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am descendant of John Robinson, MP mid to late 1700's Appleby-in Westmoreland.  I believe Richard was his brother.  John was also Mayor of Appleby and lived in the White House.  There is a lot of history of this Robinson generation within Appleby.

Offline Lyndyr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 00:25 GMT (UK) »
I think John Robinson of Appleby had a brother Richard but its not the same person - my Richard Robinson was born in London in 1780 to Richard and Mary Robinson of the parish of St John Horselydown near Bermondsey. I wish he WAS one the of the Robinsons of Appleby because as you say, there is a lot of information about them.
Kind regards
Lyndy Cracknell