Author Topic: Tombstone records in Odell  (Read 3947 times)

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tombstone records in Odell
« on: Thursday 10 February 11 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Someone on here posted the website address of a link showing photos of tombstones across the country, but stupidly, I didn't bookmark it at the time. Can anyone remind me of it please?

I am looking for "Haddens" or "Haddons" from Odell, Beds - some of them appear to have been lacemakers (oddly enough, my mother took up lacemaking in her 60's, completely oblivious at the time that her ancestors had done this for a living!)

I have got as far back as George Hadden (b 1804) who married Jane Rodgers. Someone helped me trace back to his mother who was named as Ann Hadden but there seemed to be no evidence of marriage and we are assuming that he was therefore illegitimate. Just wondering if I can find a tombstone for Ann which might help me out!

Many thanks - the tombstone link would help out in all my research actually!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Tombstone records in Odell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 February 11 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I don't know if this is the one you are after  :-\     I have not looked to see of it has Odell records.

http://www.gravestonephotos.com/index.php

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 February 11 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you thank you thank you!!! That's the one!! I will bookmark it this time as our ancestors appear to be scattered all over the country!

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 February 11 16:07 GMT (UK) »
There's no burial of an Ann Hadden in Odell up to 1851 on the NBI. In fact the only burial of a Hadden in Odell up to that date was Ebenezer age 20 mths on 10 Apr 1851.  No sign of a baptism or a marriage for Ann. Perhaps she was from nearby Northants.

George appears to have been non-conformist judging by the baptisms of some of his children at Harrold Independent Church, although he was excluded from the church in 1830 - see the Blars website at http://blars.adlibsoft.com/  . George and Jane appear to have lived in Harrold up to c1843, when they moved to Odell.
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 February 11 17:37 GMT (UK) »
There's no burial of an Ann Hadden in Odell up to 1851 on the NBI. In fact the only burial of a Hadden in Odell up to that date was Ebenezer age 20 mths on 10 Apr 1851.  No sign of a baptism or a marriage for Ann. Perhaps she was from nearby Northants.

George appears to have been non-conformist judging by the baptisms of some of his children at Harrold Independent Church, although he was excluded from the church in 1830 - see the Blars website at http://blars.adlibsoft.com/  . George and Jane appear to have lived in Harrold up to c1843, when they moved to Odell.

Thank you for all this information. I clicked on the link to the Blars website but didn't get very far with my searches. however I have just got in from work and am out working again shortly so didn't spend a lot of time on it. Nothing came up under Harrold that I could see but will have another go when I have more time. The banishment from church sounds interesting!

I have no idea where Jane Rodgers was born as I haven't yet found her on a census return, but that is just a matter of time. I already had Ebenezer's approx date of death but finding the tombstone has helped me secure that one. George and Jane's son, Frederick (who apparently was born in Odell), married Catherine Meadows from Great Staughton in Hunts  and later moved to Middlesex so it is quite possible that previous Hadden ancestors may have also lived in Hunts at some point too.

Many thanks for all your trouble - that has been extremely helpful.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 February 11 17:48 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 Jane's birthplace is given as Wollaston, Northants.

The burial details for Ebenezer are taken from the burial register in the parish register, not from a tombstone. Hardly any of my ancestors pre 20th century had headstones, doubtless not being able to afford one. There's also an Ann Haddon age 1 buried at Harrold on 18 March 1840 (she appears in the list of hits below)

There were Haddons in Harrold at an earlier date, as there's an Ann buried there on 3 Sept 1769. You need to check both Harrold and Odell parish registers to see if there's any more detail on the baptism of George and the 1769 burial.

Using the BLARS link just click on Names search and put in Haddon
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 February 11 18:01 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 Jane's birthplace is given as Wollaston, Northants.

The burial details for Ebenezer are taken from the burial register in the parish register, not from a tombstone. Hardly any of my ancestors pre 20th century had headstones, doubtless not being able to afford one. There's also an Ann Haddon age 1 buried at Harrold on 18 March 1840 (she appears in the list of hits below)

Using the BLARS link just click on Names search and put in Haddon

Thanks again - I have just clicked straight through this time. Did exactly the same as before but this time the page looked different so there must have been a problem before as I didn't get any links the first time around and the writing was smaller too. How odd!

Haven't so far got an Ann Haddon born around 1839 in my tree but that is not to say she is not part of them as they seemed to be a very large family. The website looks as if it could be really helpful. Thank you.

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 February 11 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a "jigsaw puzzle" moment!!!  :o

It sounds as if George Haddon was a religious fanatic with possible extreme views. His son was Frederick Haddon who married Catherine Meadows. They had several children and one of them was Elizabeth Hadden (sic) who married Richard Eaton. These last two were my mother's grandparents. My mother wrote down some anecdotes from her childhood and one of these states "I loved my Grandad Eaton, he used to sit me on his knee and sing to me, but I was a bit afraid of my Granny Eaton because she was very strict and had religious texts all over the wall ......"

Goodness, I wish my Mum was still alive so I could tell her ........   :)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 February 11 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I have got as far back as George Hadden (b 1804) ......... and we are assuming that he was therefore illegitimate.

You were right. From the Odell PR baptisms; 26 Dec 1804 George, illeg son of Ann Haddon,  born Nov 21

That's the only Haddon entry in Odell.

From the Harrold PR burials. 3 Sept 1769 Ann Haddon, spinster.
Again, the only Haddon entry in the register

Cheers John
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------