Author Topic: boats from scotland to ireland in 1800?  (Read 8160 times)

Offline Kasn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
boats from scotland to ireland in 1800?
« on: Thursday 10 February 11 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

We have heard rumor that our family was on a boat from scotland to ireland sometime in the early 1800's

I have tried a google search but didnt come up with anything. Does anyone know of names of the boats from back that or how I can find out?

thanks so much!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: boats from scotland to ireland in 1800?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 February 11 15:26 GMT (UK) »
There were numerous services between Scotland and Ireland. For example, in the early 1800s there was a regular ferry service from Portpatrick to Donaghadee. There were also regular sailings between Glasgow and Belfast and Londonderry. However no passenger records were ever kept, as these were, and still are, just domestic voyages.
Elwyn

Offline Kasn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 February 11 15:53 GMT (UK) »
crap!! so basically I have no way of going back any further than my great grandfather? There is a chance that they either landed in Donaghadee or Belfast. We arent exactly sure at this point.

Any advise on my next step? lol

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 February 11 16:08 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure I follow you about being unable to go backwards.  What you appear to be enquiring about takes the family tree forward, not backwards. If they went from Scotland to Ireland, then any records for events prior to that would be in Scotland, not Ireland, would they not?

If you want to trace the family forward, what information do you have about where they went in Ireland. And what were their names, ages, religions and occupations?

(There will be no formal record of their arrival in Ireland as it was just like moving from one county to another. No immigration or other arrival records).
Elwyn

Offline Kasn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 February 11 16:14 GMT (UK) »
lol I am working backwards I guess! or am I? I am not sure the usual way that this is done.

I have started with my father and gone backwards.. so my dad, then his dad and brothers, and then their father and thats where I am left. So I am trying to
I have names and ages and birth places for my great grandfather and his 3 boys (one being my dads father) but I dont know if the landed in belfast or donaghadee yet. Still trying to located offical records such as baptismal records or marriage papers. Any info I have at this moment is remains of a fire in my dads house growing up. So there isnt much :(

ONE question????? was is common for people to change their last names? I am wondering if when or if they came from Scotland that maybe they changed their last name?

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 February 11 16:38 GMT (UK) »
It was fairly common for people/families to move back and forth between Scotland and Ulster so keep that in mind when searching. Changing surnames really wasn't uncommon but what did happen were variations in spellings of a name which may make it seem as though they did actually change their name.
If you are only as far back as your great-father (if I've read your last post correctly) then you probably aren't as far back as early 1800s as you said in your first post.

Is this new query to do with your Nelson family? Previous thread here-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,511939.msg3680601.html

For Irish, Scottish or any sort of research you need to work back through records step-by-step. Have you now traced back your family to a record in Ireland which actually indicates born in Scotland?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 February 11 16:42 GMT (UK) »
People wouldn't routinely change their names as such. However officialdom sometimes altered the way it was spelled. Going from Ireland to Scotland you might see Mulligan become Milligan, O'Beirne become O'Byrne. That sort of thing.

Having a "correct" spelling of your name is something of a 20th century concern. Prior to that, people were less bothered - many couldn't read anyway - and you'll see the spelling change in censuses  and the like all the time.
Elwyn

Offline Kasn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 February 11 16:51 GMT (UK) »
oh boy!! lol I know Nelson is a common name .. and there are quite a few variations! looks like this is going to take me longer than I thought!

thanks so much for all your advise and information! very helpful!

ps - I am very curious? sorry if this comes out funny!!

just WHO are you? lol I dont mean your name and stuff but it seems the people on this site - I have made posts on other forms as well - are VERY informative and helpful and resourceful. Is everyone just doing this for the fun, or are some people on here professionals? Just curious!!

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 February 11 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Think most of us have been researching our own families and are here getting help for our 'brick walls' as well as wanting to help others with resources they've found. This is the idea Trystan and Sarah had when they started Rootschat  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!