Author Topic: boats from scotland to ireland in 1800?  (Read 8159 times)

Offline Kasn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: boats from scotland to ireland in 1800?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 February 11 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh, the 1910 census is american ..

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 February 11 06:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm a bit confused .... Where does Scotland fit into the picture?  :-\

Are you saying he moved from Ireland to Scotland at some stage, and then moved to Canada when he was about 40? If so, you still may able to locate him on one or more of the Scottish censuses. Also, if he married in Scotland, which it sounds like he may have done, you could purchase the certificate via Scotlands People to find out his parent's names.

Do you have any idea when he moved to Scotland? Did he go there as a child with his family, or as an adult?

Do you have his Canadian d/c? Do Canadian d/c's have info about parents?

There are loads of us researching English, Irish and Scottish ancestors from far-away places.  :) There are remarkably good resources available and lots to be found via the internet.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 February 11 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any records of his immigration to Canada?

Nelson isn't a particularly Irish name. It's more English, centered around the NW, with some into Scotland.
http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org

Oh, also, I'm assuming because he was born in ireland in 1867 that either his parents are irish, and his grandparents are scots, or his parents are scots and come sometime in the early 1800's?

So probably not safe to assume.  ;)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 February 11 08:55 GMT (UK) »
There has already been lots of searching done on Samuel Banks Nelson- see previous thread:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,511939.msg3680601.html

To clear up a few points which have now been posted on this thread-
Samuel Banks Nelson was supposed to have been born c1867 in Donaghadee or Belfast (kasn- did you contact Presbyterian Historical Society to see if they could provide his birthplace, father's name or home congregation?)

The name of his father and mother are not yet known but it's quite possible they were also born in Ireland. Any Scottish connection could easily be several generations back and there's really no point in trying to 'jump' back to Scotland without firm evidence that the family did come from Scotland (and without knowing exactly who it was that came from Scotland to Ireland)

He arrived in U.S. c1891 and by1905 was a U.S. citizen. Since his wife arrived in U.S. 1871 it's likely that his marriage took place in U.S.- marriage certificate is likely to list names of parents (depending on which state it took place in).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 February 11 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Kasn you have established that he was born in Ireland C1867 and that he emigrated to the USA IN 1891, do you know if he travelled alone or with members of his family?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 February 11 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Kasn you have established that he was born in Ireland C1867...
The birthdate and place have not been confirmed. Since there doesn't seem to be a birth registered under his name it's possible he was born before the start of civil registration (1864).

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 February 11 12:02 GMT (UK) »
It looks like the ball is now in your court Kasn and you should consider purchasing one (or maybe both) of his marriage certificates if they will provide his parent's names.

Thanks for the link to the previous thread aghadowey. That's very useful.

It looks like Scotland should be left out of this search until some solid evidence is found of a connection to Scotland.

Offline Kasn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 11 February 11 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone!!

sorry about the confusion! I tend to wabble back and forth on my discussion and get a little carried away.

Yes he was born in ireland and went to the usa - I am not sure yet who he went with.

aghadowey - Thanks for clearing that up!!! I think i was starting to confuse some people! lol
I was just inquiring about how to search for family from scotland trying to see if there may have been any ship records that might have names similar to ones that I already have hoping to make a link. I contacted the presbyterian church in canada earlier this week and she was very well aware of who he was and is pulling his file for me and sending me what she has - Im hoping that there might be records in there from when he joined the presbyterian society or whatever it is called that might list his parents. I am also heading to another city half hr away to the library there where they have a bunch of historical records that I can try to weed my way through as well. I have tried to look for a mailing address for the historical society in Ireland (as I cant call - its far too expensive) so I was hoping to send them a letter and I only got half of an address and didnt know if that was enough? so I am still working on how to contact them. I will call them if that becomes my only resort.
So for now I'd like to wait and see what comes in the mail

thanks sooooooooo much everyone for all your help on this!!!

I'll leave scotland out for now as suggested!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 11 February 11 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Many Ulster Presbyterian families are descendants of Scottish settlers and would, even now, say their family 'came from Scotland' but it could be as far back as the 1600s so it's not sensible to start trying to connect your Nelson family to any place in Scotland.
See if the Canadian records and Presbyterian Historical Society in Belfast can give you any information to start search for details about Samuel and then his parents before trying to get further back.