Author Topic: William Harrison  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Harrison
« on: Thursday 10 February 11 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
This one may be a lost cause but here goes, Here is a birth certificate for my great grandad Joseph Fletcher born in 1886 mothers name Frances Ellen Fletcher Fathers name put down by mistake by registrar as the father was not present and they were not married, he could not do anything except put a line through the name and attach a note with registery office explaining what he had done, The fathers name is William Harrison with just a name and area Jerrems Yard Bridge street Gainsborough Lincoln where could i start to try and trace him as they never live together and she marries in 1893 or is this truly a lost cause
Fletcher, Ogley, Shaw, Harvey, Dearnley, Simmons, Rodgers, Oldham, Robinson
Area,s Include - Barnsley, Gainsborough, Sheffield, Everton Drakeholes, Clayworth,

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Harrison
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 February 11 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The address is where the baby was born and is Frances's address at the time of registration - not William Harrisons address
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 February 11 04:04 GMT (UK) »
The nearest cencus is 1891 and there is no william harrison living with or near Frances
Area,s Include - Barnsley, Gainsborough, Sheffield, Everton Drakeholes, Clayworth,

Offline beady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 February 11 20:02 GMT (UK) »
In the 1901 census there are 2 possibles who fit the age bracket of mother,  both are married, but one has only been married 3 yrs.
You could try Bastardy and court documents - they liked to make fathers pay for their fun.
Dring, Keightley, Lincs,  Davies, Stuckey, S Wales

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 February 11 20:20 GMT (UK) »
The nearest cencus is 1891 and there is no william harrison living with or near Frances

The child was born nearly 5yrs beforehand and a lot can happen in 5yrs

Harrison may not even have been from the same area - perhaps just there temporarily

There is no occupation shown for him and apart from his name - nothing else is known

Being realistic - you could pick out any William Harrison on the 1881 or 1891 census who happened to be living in Lincs at the time - but how would you know which was the right one?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 February 11 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Most people back then seemed to be roughly the same ages and on that basis only there are around 3 or 4 in gainsborough at that time Frances was also a Greengrocer and there are 2 shop keepers called william harrison on the 1892 kelly directory same area but as you say it could be any of them or none, i think this one will never be solved who,s to say if he married later that he ever mentioned his earlier kids its a pity as will always be lingering but i suppose some people were never meant to be found.
Thankyou for your help Richard Fletcher that could so easily have been richard harrison Lol

Offline timbo4000

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 January 16 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Having just registered here after doing a Google search for Joseph Fletch born 1842 Barnsley, I came across this forum and in particular this thread.

Now I could well be jumping way off track with this and this may or not be of any help but my step mother has been for a number of years, preparing a family tree for us and we have Joseph Fletcher born 1842 Barnsley being married to Mary Jane Ogley born 1843 in Retford who in turn had a child called Frances Ellen Fletcher born 1862 in Sheffield, she apparently put down William Harrison as the father of Edith Mary Fletcher born 1888 in Scunthorpe, however my step mother does not believe that William Harrison was the father.

Does this help 'Fletcher42' - that's if you are still around on this forum.

The connection for these with my family is that Edith Mary Fletcher is my Great Great Grandmother.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 January 16 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat AND Happy New Year!

There is a tree on Ancientry

Within Dixon family (Frances Ellen Dixon)
  •   Birth of Son Joseph Fletcher(1886–1960) 27 dec 1886 • Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England    1886

•   Birth of Daughter Edith Mary Fletcher(1888–1974) 6 Jul 1888 • Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England
Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).