Author Topic: MUIR family - County Antrim  (Read 3356 times)

Offline IanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MUIR family - County Antrim
« on: Monday 18 April 05 12:29 BST (UK) »
Trying to find any information on the MUIR family in County Antrim prior to 1860.

Particularly looking for info on ALEXANDER MUIR, his wife ANN and their son JOHN (born c.1827).

Thanks,

Ian

Muir   - Antrim and Renfrewshire
Noble - Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire

Offline IanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MUIR family - County Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 April 05 10:48 BST (UK) »
Now discovered that the family left County Antrim for Scotland between 1830 and 1834.

Also found that another son, ALEXANDER, was born in County Antrim c.1830.

The maiden name of ANN was probably McILROY.

Ian

Offline IanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 06 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Just bumping this back up to the top - still hoping someone can help.

Ian

Offline IanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 February 07 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Another year passed and I've still stalled  :'(  Anyone able to help yet?

Ian

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 07 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Sorry, nothing new for you but just wanted to comment that the name does not seem to have been overly common in Ireland in that timescale. PRONI Freeholders List of pre1840 contains no Muir surnames. At the  following link, type in Muir, search will then show that the name was not that common Surname distribution 1848-64. It also shows some possible variations of the name that may have been in use in the timescale. Interestingly, when the search is complete, if you type McIlroy in the second surname box on the results page, it then shows that in 1848 - 64 these two names only appeared together in Belfast (after your timescale, I know, but may help focus in on one part of Antrim as it were).

Have you had a look at www.ancestryireland.com 1821 birth of an Alexander Muir just in case there is any connection to yours? Perhaps an earlier born child that died.

Finally, which part of Scotland did they end up in (I have recently been looking at a Muir link on one of my lines in Scotland)?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 February 07 22:25 GMT (UK) »
There are two sad Muir entries in the Clifton St Cemetry Register see  home.glenravel.com/
Good Luck onwards, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline IanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 August 07 01:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you scotmum, I feel the reason I am having so much of a problem getting any information is because the name is so rare in the area - on the plus side, any mention of the name is probably a relation of some sort!

The family moved to Renfrewshire, ending up just south of Paisley.

Thanks also to Jim.  Had a look at the 2 entries but sadly can see no obvious link to my family.

Ian

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 August 07 10:29 BST (UK) »
The surname MUIR is found in Northern Ireland but would certainly be more common in Scotland. Are you sure they used the spelling MUIR in Northern Ireland and not Moor/Moore?
McIlroy is more common in Ulster and found in both (although not exclusively) Co. Antrim & Co, Londonderry.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline IanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 August 07 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey,

The earliest data I currently have is the 1841 census that states that Alexander (Snr & Jnr), Ann and John all have the spelling MUIR. 

Alexander was born c1830 in Co. Antrim (from his marriage record) and the next child was born in Renfrewshire c1833, meaning the family must have moved (back?) to Scotland around that time.  My theory is that the Muir family originally moved from Scotland to Ireland and worked in the mills in Co. Antrim.  Then for some reason in the early 1830's they returned to Scotland to continue working in the mills near Paisley.  In fact my Grandfather was also a mill worker in Paisley until about 1970.

I have a copy of the marriage of John in 1855 with the spelling still MUIR.  This is also where I get the first indication of the maiden name of McILROY for Ann.  I then have a second marriage for John in 1867 giving the same details.

Unfortunately I don't currently have any data before 1841, and no data at all from Ireland.  I suppose the most logical path would be to try and find the marriage of Ann McILROY to an Alexander MUIR/MOOR/MOORE around 1825-1830 in Co. Antrim.

Ian