Author Topic: Entering the Navy in the late 19th century  (Read 984 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Entering the Navy in the late 19th century
« on: Friday 11 February 11 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hope this is the right board for this question - if not, please could a mod move it? thankyou.

Thanks to the National Archives, I've downloaded a page with details of the not-very-illustrious Navy career of the brother of my 2xgt-grandmother. Have also posted other queries about this before with much help received!

Anyway - these show that Augustin Upton, dob given as 29 Oct 1863, was a "boy" on the Impregnable and Implacable between July 1879 - 1881.

On 29 Oct 1881 (when he allegedly became 18 - his birth cert doesn't agree!!) he became an ordinary seaman on the Agincourt.

The box entitled "Date and period of CS engagement" stated "October 1881 10 years".

So does this mean that on his 18th birthday, he signed up for 10 years naval service? If so, I have other questions - viz, at what age could you join up as a B2C (or any lower rank?!); and how long did you have to commit to service if you were under 18?

(In fact he was booted out 3 weeks later and sent to Winchester jail --  ::))
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Entering the Navy in the late 19th century
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 February 11 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

Boys enlisted in the Royal Navy for 10 years from the age of 18. So he was enlisting until he was 28. He did not re-sign at the age of 18, as the commitment had already been made

B2C - Boy 2nd Class - were usually 15 to 17 on enlistment, becoming a B1C after 6 to 18 months of satisfactorily service. There was a little used B3C rank for 14 to 16 year olds, but they tended to live at home and go in during the day.

Civil gaol - remember we're British - was a bit steep for lying about your age. Although if he started to receive the Ordinary Seaman rate when still under 18 it was I suppose fraud. But I suspect it was for a civil offence.

Ken