Author Topic: Looking for Barker Joseph BENSON, born Whitby 1815?  (Read 48620 times)

Offline SimoneAllaston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Barker Joseph BENSON, born Whitby 1815?
« Reply #108 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am hoping Majm will see this post.

What was the name of the book of photos you were referring to?

I was prompted to again provide the information about that book simply because the discussion on this thread was making mention of photographs and of facial features.  The photos in the book clearly show each person’s facial features.  The book is available in various public libraries, including the National Library of Australia.

I am a descendant of Barker via Willis Allatson.

Cheers,
Simone
Barker Joseph Benson

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Thursday 23 April 20 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

RE PHOTOS... 

I recall mentioning on one of the several threads about Barker Joseph BENSON to which I have contributed, that there are photos in a published book that may be of interest.

One photo is captioned :
"The Benson Family, Gottenham Street, 1908.  At fifteen years of age Bill Benson (sitting third from left) became the bread winner after the death of his father"
Edit to Add There are six children in the photo, and one of these children is seated on their mother's lap.

Another photo is captioned :
"The Rebels 1917 - Glebe District Rubby League Club, First Grade Team .... Front Row .... W Benson...."     

This book also mentions Barker Benson and William Anderson (I gently remind you that they began the first medical practice in Glebe). 

The book's around 300 pages, with a good index, and detailed references.  It is my view that the author (Max Solling) has a deep understanding of the history of Glebe and may well have further family history information on Barker Benson and other Benson family members.

So here are that book's details again :

Grandeur & Grit :  a history of Glebe.  Max Solling.
ISBN 978192083187 (HARDBACK)
Published by Halstead Press, 66/89 Jones St Ultimo NSW 2007.

This suburb of Glebe is an inner west suburb of Sydney NSW Australia.

Cheers,  JM

Hi,

I am hoping Majm will see this post.

What was the name of the book of photos you were referring to?

I was prompted to again provide the information about that book simply because the discussion on this thread was making mention of photographs and of facial features.  The photos in the book clearly show each person’s facial features.  The book is available in various public libraries, including the National Library of Australia.

I am a descendant of Barker via Willis Allatson.

Cheers,
Simone

;D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline SimoneAllaston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Thursday 23 April 20 03:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much! I look for it now.

I am a decedent from Barker's son Willis. Any information I can share please let me know.
Barker Joseph Benson

Offline Barkrelsatthepoint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Monday 27 April 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all, interesting to see these posts after so many years. We have moved, changed email address etc and yet our old email account still exists and I happened to look at it and found Simone's post.   Must be the boredom that has got people searching again.

I've written four books since the last time I posted - thanks to the Hearth Tax documents on line I have sourced Barkers rels a lot further back even to America also our other 7 lines (ours that is). Also I've researched the Isle of Pines connections, Major John Bowler being an associate of General Robson -Barkers brother.  Thomas Barker no 1 son being born in England and baptised by Charles Kemp - a relative here - so much info out there,  and have several theories but not necessarily provable ones. He (Barker ) certainly doesn't want to be forgotten.
Hoping everyone is well and coping with the lockdown.
Angela       

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Monday 27 April 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Angela,

I will update your old profile with you new details and send you out a new password  ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SimoneAllaston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Monday 27 April 20 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Family,

Angela I'd love to read or buy copies of your books.

Are you on Ancestry.com?

Cheers,
Simone
Barker Joseph Benson

Offline Barkrelsatthepoint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Simone, unfortunately there is only one hard cover of the book pertaining to the Bensons and I didn't write it for sale, it was written for our kids and grandkids to know where they came from. As I said many things came together to pose pictures and it depends whether your interest is with Barker or the Benson family backwards.

If it is the family backwards I can recommend documents to find on line so that you can look at them and see if they present the same picture to you as they did for me. Also the book that helps show the Benson family being involved in Shipping for nigh on 300 years.

As for Barker again I can point you to documents or articles I found that 'explain' some possible things to explain Barker's law and 'doctor' degrees and other co-incidences.

I did buy your book on line but as your line comes from Willis and Richard's through Eric it was more a help to see how the Temple line joined in.

As an aside Richard and I are 4th cousins -confirmed by DNA and our common line there is the Godwins. My interest was, till I gave up and decided it was too hard to prove, would be having us joined together into Henry Godwin Temple as well as our Godwin 3 times great grandparents. Cheers Angela