Author Topic: Looking for Barker Joseph BENSON, born Whitby 1815?  (Read 48619 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Barker Joseph BENSON, born Whitby 1815?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 31 March 11 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

At the thread at this link, one of the RChatters kindly provided info re Barker's birth/baptism and noted the names of his parents and a sibling for him too

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,523166.0.html

Its at reply #33, and the RChatter noted that this information had been found earlier by another RChatter.

I am looking for any information relating to Barker Joseph BENSON, apparently born in Whitby around 1815.

Possible parents are Thomas BENSON and Sarah BAKER, both also born in Whitby around 1779.

I believe Barker Joseph came to Australia around 1841.

Any help greatly appreciated,
Thanks
Carna

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 31 March 11 12:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks again JM. . . .
I appreciate all your research on my behalf.
I am also grateful of your family's help in making records more accessible.
I can't believe that you have been searching your family history for such a long time, and I'll bet you aren't finished.
I've heard that not only is it addictive as you mentioned, but also it is never finished.
Thanks for making my journey easier,
Carna

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 31 March 11 12:32 BST (UK) »
Dear Kim and Angela,

I love how much info you both have.

On the John Yates Rutter story and the marriage of Charlotte Rutter to Henry Kendall, I found this website about Henry Kendal and Charlotte and about John Rutter etc.
If you haven't seen it, I hope you get something out of it.

http://www.kendallfamily.name/kendall_family_nsw/wc01/wc01_019.html

Hoping all is well for you both,
Carna

Offline Barkrelsatthepoint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 01 April 11 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen and Kim,

Thanks for that site. Seeing that John Yates Rutter is Charlotte's father and he is named in the SMH 1878 notice for the marriage of William Robson and Ida Florence Rutter as her late father:

Tuesday 19th November 1878 Sydney Morning Herald
BENSON -RUTTER.-November 14, at the residence of the bride's mother, by the Rev. J. Kinross, H.A., Principal of St. Andrew's Collège, William Robson, second son of the late Barker Joseph Benson, M.D., to Ida Florence, youngest daughter of the late John Yates Rutter, M.D.

I guess that makes them sisters? Anyhow I checked it out ages ago on the BMD site. I have a note somewhere there were eight children all together.

I'm sure my father-in-law Billy Benson had a signed copy of Henry Kendall's poems but it hasn't come down the line to us, feel it might have got lost in his several moves. Shame really.

Tried earlier to upload a photo of Thomas (1779) and Sarah's and Thomas(1738) and Ann's Banns notice from St Mary's Whitby but the file was too big and seeing it was 10mbs it will be hard to reduce.

It's great being at this stage of the research and having people to chat to about it. Generations 1-5 in England  was a hard slog as the only relatives we were in touch with and that only happened because of a funeral were John Benson, Janet Bensonand Margaret Baxter (Benson) who are my hubbies first cousins from his Uncle John - Eric and Margaret's eldest son (Marie, John and Billy's sister died young from TB same year as their mother.  They knew nothing of the family as their mother married a second time and the family lost contact. That essentially means in the last nine months we've found something like ten relatives including yourselves - eleven if you include Tiffany from Quebec which is awesome and some of it because 'Carna' created  this thread!!!

Have a good weekend everybody.

Cheers again Angela

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 03 April 11 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

At Henry Kendall Cottage (Gosford) today to see if any local history on Barker.
Nothing at museum, but hopefully some in book collection.

"Gosford and the Kendall Country," by Charles Swancott 1966, had a few snippets.
The book describes the area at the time Barker was here.
Two snippets to follow:
"On 27/4/1851, the Bench stated that the population of the district in connection with the census in the town of Gosford was 95 persons, village of East Gosford 116 and the residue of the district 1240 making a total of 1451."

(In 2006, there were 3514 just in East Gosford)

Also "On 24/6/1862, Dr Barker Joseph Benson sued John Smith Butcher, for 6 pounds, for herbage eaten and destroyed by cows and calves on land at the Doctors at Peeks Point."

I found this interesting. I know he was always after money, but this also puts him in a more specific locality, Peeks Point is now East Gosford.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Gosford,_New_South_Wales
Explains the early history of this area,
http://www.gosford.nsw.gov.au/library/local_history/subdivision/documents/Gosford/East%20Gosford%20Wells%20survey%201840.pdf
Is a parish map if the area in 1840. From dates so far, I gather Barker and Hannah were in this area by the end of 1841.

From "Place names of the Central Coast", by Eileen Pratt,
"By 1841, East Gosford was a flourishing settlement. There were two wharves, a regular boat service to Sydney, two hotels, 21 houses, others in the course of erection, three thriving stores, some small shops, a school, a bakery,and a smithy."

I hope this paints a picture of where they lived in their early days here.
All the new info for now,
Carna

Offline Barkrelsatthepoint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 03 April 11 14:23 BST (UK) »
Oh Carna you've been busy,

I've been checking all my downloads tonight to finish up my English part of what I'm writing.

I found a couple of things that add to what you've found. Will have to post them tomorrow as I'm tired tonight.

1. A notice on the 'ship' William IV (don't quote me yet on No.) arriving (might be departing) I think at Benson and Parkinson Wharf.

2. Another site discussion on Barker as a surgeon in the district and the birth dates of four of his children.

I also read a 'thesis' online to night about what they called 'Generalist' doctors in England a term they adopted out here. It was a 'heavy' read but essentially it showed how much change was going on in Barker's time as far as qualifications went. It even suggested that some people just attended lectures and then called themselves a doctor. The important thing about the generalist definition was that the doctor did what he had to because of a concern for people and I'd like to think that was how Barker was - it was certainly what he would have been taught by his predecessors from Ingram Chapman all the way down (He was 1600's  'medico' of sorts).

It's been a great discussion all the way and we certainly wouldn't know half as much as we do if it wasn't for all the help we've got from everyone.

Sleep tight.

Cheers Angela

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Possibly new info from Gosford Library local history books . . . . 

Barker Joseph and Hannah Benson (wife) came to Australia from NZ on a ship called  'Harrington' which apparently arrived in Sydney 11th September 1841.

Have found arrival of the ship, but cannot find passenger list.

Does anyone know where I might find the passenger list to clarify this info.

Thanks,
Carna

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
Monday 13 September 1841The Sydney Monitor and Commercial Advertiser (NSW : 1838-1841)

ARRIVAL-SATURDAY. HARRINGTON, schooner, 187 tons, Mercer, master, from Port Nicholson, the 14th ultimo. Cargo-Sundries. Passengers, Mr. and Mrs. Benson Mr. Haswell, Mr. Bennet, Mrs. Mercer and child.

found ONLINE at trove newspapers within couple of minutes of reading your post 

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper

Cheers,  JM    EDIT TO NOTE   Surgeons are often referred to as "Mr" rather than as "Dr" .... "Mr" indicating their additional medical qualifications over and above that of "Dr"
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 14:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks heaps AGAIN JM,

Another puzzle piece!

I tried every other shipping website and forgot all about trove.

I really do appreciate your help,
Carna