Author Topic: Looking for Barker Joseph BENSON, born Whitby 1815?  (Read 48621 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Barker Joseph BENSON, born Whitby 1815?
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 14:09 BST (UK) »
Also these cuttings have Harrington arrival and passenger list

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12871111 13 September 1841 The Sydney Herald  

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/31732873 14 September 1841 Australasian Chronicle

Perhaps other papers also carry information about Barker Joseph BENSON .... the following link is to digitised newspapers from the 1840's but is NOT keyword searchable ... there's many other NSW papers there though

http://www.nla.gov.au/ferg/browselist.html

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 14:11 BST (UK) »
 ;D  Well you won't forget trove again !  Its a Treasure Trove ... that's the best way to remember to look there  ;)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 14:26 BST (UK) »
Definately wont be forgetting that Treasure Trove again. It will always be my first port of call from now on.

Thanks for the reminder,
Carna

Offline blynch2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 21 April 11 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Carna & Angela,
Maybe we should organise a get together to share our info. Is that too weird? I keep reading stuff that I already know, and it would probably save you a lot of time and effort. What do you think?
regards,
Kim.

Offline Barkrelsatthepoint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 22 April 11 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim and Karen,

Angela here, Rick (your rellie) and I feel that would be a good idea. I sent off an Easter email message to the more immediate cousins and there will be another 'Benson wedding' (Gemma) in June which made me think how good it could be to catch up with the wider 'cousins' as well. 

We feel very happy with any extra information we have gained here which essentially only applies to Barker at the moment, although as you say we knew much of it  already. I have a fair amount of info from newspapers on William - Barker's son, but the rellie connection is closer so it would be nice to build on that. I have nothing much to offer on Eric his son as Dad (Bill) had hardly anything to do with him so when Barker's stuff settles down I will be channeling energies into that. 

If you're not familiar with the big picture behind Barker, we may be able to help there.  I confess as a 'Pom' myself that situating the family in the Whitby area has been a real treat and given Rick his 'English roots' although 'Robin Hood's Bay is the place that really captured our hearts as it is still a living picture of life reflecting how it all looked back in the 'Whitby Benson's' time. My own roots are - born in Lichfield (within the sound of the bells of the three-spired cathedral where my own Dad sang) and then Cheltenham - of Spa and racecourse fame. We're related through his Mum and my Dad so that's an interesting family tree too. Otherwise it would be nice to just compare notes.

We are away for a couple of weeks with friends touring in our caravan and won't be back until the 6th May. I will put a post here when we get back and then hopefully all four of us could get together. We're about 20k's out of the city.  Can't help wondering if there's more rellies out there watching this site - 1300 + watchers is a large no of 'interested' persons!

Good to hear from you and wondering if Karen found out anything of interest in her 'Probate' visit.  Regardless,

Cheers and have a 'Happy Easter' (and all the watchers too) barkrels

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 25 April 11 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim, Angela and Rick,

A get together sounds great. Just let me know a time and place.

Went to State Archives and viewed both Hannah and Barkers probate.
Fantastic to see original paperwork but dissapointing content.
Although he did only write his will on 30/11/1871 and died on Christmas Day same year.
He must have known something was wrong.

No property involved, both estates around 100 pounds.
Great to see original signatures, clarifying spelling of names e.g. Willis Allatson has been spelt in many ways. Also Hannah was in contact with her brothers in Sydney as one witnessed her will and during insolvency a piano was listed as belonging to a Vandervord.

Insolvency/Bankrupcy records were also good and a little more informative.

In the 1843 case for Barker, his possessions were listed as surgical instruments and the wearing apparel of Barker and his wife 30pounds, as well as store goods 100pounds and Abraham Parkinson's wearing apparell 5pounds. Barker was the senior partner and so seemed more liable. It seems Barker's father helped with the debt in this case.

For Barker's 1867 Insolvency, he lists the times (depression) and subsequent falling off of business, supporting a large family, and  him being frquently laid up with gout stopping him running his business as a surgeon in Brisbane Waters. It also mentions that his wife and children have been sick for a considerable time.

Even though Willis is not your direct relative, his divorce papers were an insight into the man. He had 2 children with my great great grandmother(2nd wife), whilst still married. When his wife questioned him about it , he said that he would cohabit with as many women as he liked and started to treat her cruely, hitting her with a clenched fist, kicking her, and even holding a knife to her.

Carna

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 25 April 11 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

As I am local to East Gosford, I am still looking around up here to provide insight into their life.

From the 1840 map of East Gosford combined with other local documents, I think I have pinpointed where the wharf and store were, even Benson Lane (not around today). Still need to confirm by looking at the 1843 map (in State Library NSW)

I went to this spot the other day and the sight is soooooo steep, I dont understand how the goods etc got to the wharf. The landscape can't have changed that much, surely.

Will keep searching,
Carna 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 25 April 11 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Carna,

Presuming you found the right spot for that wharf,  they may have unloaded onto the wharf and then used "flying fox" cages to get stores up to the top ....  Similar systems used at many steep and remote locations including mine sites etc in the 1850's in NSW.... 

Alternatively, if the main wharf was accessible for deep draught vessels  up from Port Jackson etc (thus built near cliff faces or steep ravines giving depth even at low tide etc) then perhaps stores were unloaded onto that wharf and then re-loaded onto several smaller and/or flat bottomed vessels (tinders etc) for transfer to more accessible shorelines with those very long jetties etc around Brisbane Waters.   

EDIT TO ADD This is a restored cage used in FNQ, Barron River area (up above Cairns) to move cargo and people via a Flying Fox installation across a gorge during construction of a Dam, much later than 1840's, but same principle.
Cheers,  JM

Offline blynch2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 25 April 11 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Carna!
             Love all the work you have done! All those little details are so interesting and add to the total picture. I don't think Barker was a terribly well person. In his diaries he talks about not being well and having to spend a day in bed now and then, but he doesn't say what was wrong. He was only a young man at the time. If we get together I cab bring the diaries to show you and maybe copy some.
Regards,
Kim.