Author Topic: Blyth  (Read 45800 times)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 15:04 BST (UK) »

In the late 1950s, a couple of my Blyth acquaintenances were draughtsman apprentices in Blyth Shipyard. They had palled up with a Dutch lad about 18 yrs of age who was temporarily employed in the shipyard. His dad was something big in Dutch Shipping. One year when the Dutch drifters hit Blyth, he acted as a sort of Blyth Tourist guide for the Dutch sailors.

PYFB. You and me had different fads. I poured the vinegar out of the pickles, ditto the brine from the Hot Dogs. Big thing in our house was raw chips dipped in sugar.

By the way what is the derivation for the word " callahaan" (sic) to mean herring ?

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael, do you have any information as to when Millfield Gardens was built? I am currently trying to date one or two photos and locations. Am I correct in thinking that Black Bridge over the River Blyth was changed from timber viaduct to the present bridge in 1929/30? Were the mechanised Bates Loaders installed 1932/3 and was Cowpen Square finally demolished in 1935?

Any general info would be great to know. Thank you.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 11:49 BST (UK) »
Callahaan- I may not even have spelled it right. The fish carts used to come round New Deleval, and the bloke would be shouting "Callahaan."  I remember my grandfather speaking of herrings as "harrans"; and also as a youngster the older people would 'ax' a question, or ax somebody to do something. Ax is pure Saxon. There was also the pronunciations of byoots, hyuks(boots, hooks) etc which was quite common. I have just looked up in Dictionary of Archaic Words, and have come across: 'caller' which meant-cool/fresh and used in the North, so possibly the call was caller haan.  And what about gliffing the wits, or the sh**s out of someone ? I believe that is similar to a Dutch word glijven - to frighten.  Yes, gliff is also in the same dictionary meaning "a glimpse; an unexpcted view of a thing that startles someone. The dictionary was first published in 1850,author: James Orchard Halliwell; reprinted 1989 by Bracken Books. It is well worth locating a copy.  And the Onion Johnnies - they spoke broken English with  GEORDIE accent.  It was hilarious but not in a demeaning way.  One that came to our house was Joseph Tanguy, from Roscoff.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 12:01 BST (UK) »
All you Blyth people, check out the posting re Bobby and Jack Charlton.  Bobby was in the Bedlington Grammar school team when they played Blyth Grammar, and Bobby's team got stuffed. ;D  It would be nice if someone could dig out the date, score and a photo.  Get delving, please.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 12:50 BST (UK) »
Some videos on YT for those interested. The first two are of poor quality, but worth taking the trouble to view. The third video has only just been put on YT, the owner of the footage mailed me earlier this week. For Blyth folk, enjoy.

P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sh8hr-0mgA    (part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i5L0ZKLKvU     (part 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqP-mX-XCo8    (newest video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjfyuN1PN3Y     (demolition of the Theatre Royal, some great facts)
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 13:02 BST (UK) »
Given the news about the Harrier jump jets and Ark Royal being withdrawn from service with immediate effect, perhaps the aircraft carrier should be donated by the government to Blyth (given that Blyth is where the world's first aircraft carrier was converted / built also named Ark Royal) with a few of the jets to be a permanent museum and display centre on the river. Would make a great local / national attraction. Pipe dream I know. Nobody has any money for it, but it would be nice. A fitting tribute to Blyth, Ark Royal the Harriers and the armed forces who protect us.

Perhaps the ship could be put into the old ash dock where there is plenty of space and parking, and perhaps a little ferry could be used to take visitors down to Low Quay where they could walk through to Blyth town centre. What dreams are made of eh?  :(

P

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 October 10 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I lived in Salisbury Street and in the late fifties early sixties I can remember a "stagecoach" coming round the streets and all us kid used to ride round the streets in or on the stagecoach. Does anybody remember this and know who they were or even anything about them?  When I tell people about it nowadays I think they are sure I'm away with the pixies!!!!! (Not quite yet)

Barbara
DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 02:32 BST (UK) »
New one on me, Barbara.

I'll have to ask around - see if anyone else knows.

Christine

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 23:40 BST (UK) »
I put the feelers out on the stage coach too and this is the reply I got. It might help with the horses at least. Hopefully the OLD mates will remember.

"Re, the wild west situ'. I can remember the horses,  taking the kids for rides around Gladstone St.     That was their mustering point, along the narrow lane opp' Morpeth Road infants entrance. Can't think of any stagecoach at that point in time, but,  If I wasn't looking for one, there you go.
Will seek out some of my OLD mates who lived round that area at the time, and get some definite leads on the subject.
The horses in question   belonged, I believe, to old Bailey, who was a gateman at the south harbour.     They were tethered,  [or free ranged] on the field behind us, which is now Solingen Est, where the newt pond used to be".