Author Topic: Ireland Marriages  (Read 3603 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland Marriages
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 February 11 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nadia,

There are a couple of puzzling things here:
1861 has no mention of Patrick - he could still be in Ireland and perhaps arrived later with relatives maybe.
If I am looking at the  right family (and think I am ) I can't see any born in Manchester  :-\

You mention that Austin jnr is born Ireland but the family would be in England by the time of his birth.
1881 has him as Augustin and there a birth on Free BMD for Augustin Gibbons 1862 West Derby which could be him.

As you will know there are 2 similar aged Austin and Bridget Gibbons in L'pool. There are two marriages in 1860s on Free BMD. If (and it is only a slight possibility) your Austin remarried in Liverpool, there is a marriage to a Bridget Shaw in December quarter 1861. Coincidentally Patrick married an Anne Shaw.
From a published tree, I notice that Patrick's death is registered as Patrick James S Gibbons and I then wondered if the 'S' stood for Shaw  :-\

Whether my thoughts have any truth or not, I do think it is best that you get the birth certificate of one of the children born in Liverpool to check Bridget's surname so that you can perhaps progress a little further.

best wishes
heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lois2010

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 February 11 17:10 GMT (UK) »
 Blimey - the plot thickens !

Looks like I'm gonna be up all night.

All because I could not find a death record for my Walter Daniel Gibbons !

Offline Lois2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 February 11 17:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you can do this and get anywhere ?

I am on Griffiths Valuation typing in Austin, Bridget, John and Patrick Gibbons - looking under Co Mayo - separately for each name and cross referencing Balleyvoy and the Landlords name and so on.

I was wondering if by doing that if I could narrow down the family ?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 February 11 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Griffith's Valuation is for land valuations- it's not a census and doesn't list members of a household, just the tenant/landlord.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lois2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 February 11 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Ok so the tenant on there is only the say head of the house and does not list the rest of the family - yes ?

So I will stop what I have been doing then.

Hope you're not all laughing at me !

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 February 11 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Blimey - the plot thickens !

Looks like I'm gonna be up all night.
All because I could not find a death record for my Walter Daniel Gibbons !

No- one is laughing at all - no-one said it would be easy  ;)

There is a Walter Gibbons in L'pool - similar age to Austin snr and I (am probably wrong) would have thought that Walter was not that common a name at that time in Ireland.
The marriage which I referred to is on the Liverpool History Projects site http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/
Unfortunately, full details need a bit of an investment  ;) As yet, also, it is just a theory.
Austin and Bridget Shaw married at St Antony's

Offline Lois2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 February 11 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure what to make of this I need to have dinner and refresh my mind I think !

1891 was Augustine also says he was born Leicestershire - image does say Liverpool though. Every census has a different age for him. I nearly corrected that but wasn't sure and vaguely remember looking for a birth record under that.

I am just getting to grips with this Moss Side address saga again. I live in Essex so it's far away land for me !

I had come to the conclusion that Walter Gibbons born abt 1860 Ireland on 1861 census was possibly Walter Gibbons born 1863 Hulme Lancashire on 1891 census. I did this last night because I had found a possible probate for my gt grandfather Walter Daniel Gibbons which said he left money to a Maria Buckleton wife of Alfred Buckleton who was a commercial clerk same as Walter. When I searched for Maria I found her maiden name to be Gibbons. I found her parents to be Walter and Sarah. I found one of Maria's brothers to be yet another Walter Gibbons born 1892 - he was an invoice clerk.

So anyway checking the address' the probate address for Walter Gibbons was Johnson Street just above Moss Side where they all lived - to the right the Manchester Royal Infirmary where he died. So it is all kind of 'fitting in' with address' and professions.

According to the probate the death date was 9 Jan 1913 but there is no record of that death on BMD or ancestry so I have ordered a copy of the death certificate from the GRO by using age of death and last known address on priority so I can eliminate it if it is the wrong one. If they cannot find it I wont know what to do though.

Sifting through the rest of the family now to get answers !

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 February 11 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Mmmm...  :)

1871 RG10; Piece: 3996; Folio: 56; Page: 2
Walter Gibbons 8yrs b Manchester  (living Hulme parish)
Parents James Henry and Anna Maria

1871 RG10; Piece: 3792; Folio: 50; Page: 30
Walter with Austin and Bridget

so if your Walter is Manchester based then he doesn't belong to Austin.

Offline Lois2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 February 11 18:10 GMT (UK) »
I am really sorry I think I have confused you all now.
Walter Daniel Gibbons born 1876 was my gt grandad. His father was John Gibbons born 1855ish Ireland. Austin Gibbons was his father. Walter Gibbons born 1862 I think is John Gibbons brother and his daughter was Maria Gibbons her brother was also a Walter Gibbons born 1892.

I should not have perhaps mentioned all of this, do you want access to my ancestry tree ? If you do send me your e-mail through an ancestry message and I will add you.

I am hoping by Tuesday to find out if that death certificate is actually Walter Daniel Gibbons - lo and behold me if it comes back without a family member as a witness to the death !

Nadia