Author Topic: Missing from a census  (Read 1948 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Missing from a census
« on: Monday 07 June 04 17:38 BST (UK) »
"Hi all beginners,
                        Questions please, or if you are not a beginner then ask anyway."
Okay then kevan and everyone,
I'm fairly new to this (just a couple of months now), haven't read a book or anything but hey ho, have used the internet, found lots of sites, and information aimed at beginners - I've read everything I've found. I've also joined local FHS, and have found the local Record Office - the staff are brilliant very helpful but I've only used the GRO indexes. I am enrolling on a course for Family History but it isn't until the Autumn and I want to start now! Yes we don't want to appear too stupid or ask inane questions or repeat questions that have been asked before but.. even searching through sites such as these sometimes we just can't find the answer. I have recently posted a couple of enquiries one specifically asking for advice with regard to the census 1901, I can't find someone who should be there but haven't yet received any specific advice, one responder did check for me(thank you Moscan) .  I realise that the 1901 census site is a pay per view site which I'm happy to do just need to know how!
So my question : what or how can you find someone on the census who should be with their family but isn't (age 8), any tips? I've tried similar names - the name is Mallard, so have tried Mullard, Millard.  Have tried just putting in first name and age and district.  What methodology do you recommend?
From a link to another site, on this forum - which I now can't trace back although  I recall it was a census site  they were referring to ID numbers and how this had helped them find someone, my problem is I don't know what an ID number is,  neither can I find it on the Census forms I've printed off for people I have found. How or where can I find it, how will it help me?
I have lots of other questions too but don't want to ramble on! Have been to the library today and found several of the recommended books so may be able to find some answers.
I have received some really helpful information since posting on this site and reading other posts can also be helpful and informative.
Thanks in advance, Bothered, bewildered, Pauline.

Question split off as it is a specific query,  not a continuation of the discussion.
Global Moderator
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Helping others
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 June 04 17:40 BST (UK) »
oops, that should be age Eight (now how did that smiley happen?)
Pauline

Moderator Comment: if you put an '8' followed by a bracket you end up with a 8) smiley. I suppose put '(aged eight)' or '(aged 8 years)' click the "Disable Smilies"  box before you post it.  It's quite nice to think of an eight year old as a big smilie face!

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 June 04 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,
I'm not that experienced either, but I can give you one small piece of advice-the 1901 census was trancribed by people who's first language wasn't english, so try changing letters completely - M's can look like H's & N's, try writing it down. Also don't put a gender or age in I have heard of a Dairymaid who was classed as male. :-\
Hope this helps
Ange
researching: Evans, Smith, Soundie, Brookfield, Frost, Douglas, Heron, Weaver,Redmond, Blackford, Furmedge & McKittrick

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kevan

• RootsChat Senior
  • My beautiful grandmother - Ethel Litlechild
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 June 04 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,
                As a start, I have tried a search of the 1901 census for all Mallard, born in London. As Caroline and Catherine were born in Chelsea and Fulham, a search of any other Mallard born in London and on the 1901 census is a start.
              We do find a Madge Mallard, a 6 year old visitor, staying at Hampstead with the Wiltshire family. I am not suggesting this is the right person, but a way of searching.
              Incidentally, I signed up for Ancestry, which is not a cheap option - but does give access to the 1891 census in its entirety, and large parts of the 1901 plus continual additions to the 1871. You can access the 1881 at the LDS site, and then I have bought census for specific areas for 1841 and 1861.
            Then there is the Cambridgeshire 1851 index online, plus I have specific indexes for 1851 and 1861 for certain areas, plus a microfiche reader with some parish records, although never enough, and finally there is the excellent Record Offices. As these take a day out of your life and the expense of getting there, I find that having my own resources helps and is a cheaper option in the long run.
           Oh, I forgot the IGI search tool at the IGI, which is good and not entirely reliable like some of the census transcriptions (mine included) - so by havong about five or six different references to the same family, open online at the same time, one can cross reference the data and maybe come up wth a useful snippet of info.
          What have I missed? Google, lots of google searching, and lots of different search queries sometimes find a good site, and often visiting the area is worth a try as many parish records often become available that are not immediately obvious from just typing a persons name.
          Just a starter.
Best
Kevan
Kevan - Wilding, Littlechild, Beard, Cumbers, Murphy, Wickham, Lagden etc.
Public House info
http://essex1841.com &
http://pubshistory.com
http://historyofstratford.co.uk//

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Missing from a census
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevan and Ange,
Thank you for the excellent advice
Ange - I hadn't thought of gender, or of completely changing the M, I did try leaving out the surname altogether and searched for any Elizabeth female aged 8, but received the message - search is taking too long.so will have a try at your suggestions.

Kevan - as a new starter I didn't want to rush out and buy new equipment, I haven't made it to a FH Fair yet but hope to soon, I am also looking at buying a new computer program at the moment I use the LDS one - adequate but not great. I agree investing in your own CD's and indexes is obviously the number 1 choice and hope to do some investing soon.  Thanks for the info,
Pauline.

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,

Just a couple of thoughts - I've been looking at your previous posts, and I see that you are taking your estimated birth year for Elizabeth Mallard from her death certificate.  I always think that this is the least reliable source for ages as the information has definately not been given by the person concerned - I've just asked my husband to tell me his parents ages and he didn't know, and he was a year out with my age (and he made me older and not younger!)  >:( Does she give an age on her marriage certificate?

You have Caroline Mallard who is aged 11 on the 1901 census.  Do you know what became of Caroline?  I have someone in my tree who I am convinced changed his forename from Jessie to Thomas between the 1841 and 1851 census returns and so created a huge brickwall for me, and others who have chosen to use a middle name as their forename.  Is there any chance at all that Caroline and Elizabeth could be the same person?

Sorry to raise more questions than answers for you.  :-\

Sasha.

p.s. is Caroline's mother the Caroline Dines (Dine) from the 1881 census? http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=48;action=display;threadid=4977

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 June 04 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Sasha,
Thanks for the info, I.
I think your husband is just like mine!