Author Topic: Matilda Jane MULLIN born ~ 1834 at Westmeath  (Read 4932 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matilda Jane MULLIN born ~ 1834 at Westmeath
« on: Tuesday 15 February 11 04:43 GMT (UK) »
My g-grandfather's sister Matilda Jane MULLIN came to Australia in 1850. According to most records in Australia we believe her family lived in Belfast as her younger sister was born there in 1841. However it appears that Matilda was born somewhere in Westmeath ~ 1834. Perhaps the family moved northwards to Belfast later on. Her parents were William MULLIN and Mary nee PATTERSON. I also believe William was a Government Surveyor and may have later became a Church of Ireland Minister, although I am unsure of this latter occupation because one source has it that he was a Baptist. However, he was certainly not a Roman Catholic.

Can anyone please check records to see whether any part of this story is true??

Thanks, Rob - Australia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Matilda Jane MULLIN born ~ 1834 at Westmeath
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Full civil registration did not start until 1864 so you would need to search for any available parish records for details of the family. To do this you would need to know the family religion and which parish they lived in.

Some parish records for Co. Westmeath are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at http://www.rootsireland.ie/  Check their list of sources for details of which parishes/denominations are available on their website.

see :
  Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane but are there any free sites available? I live in Australia and already subscribe to a couple of sites already! Cheers, Rob

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane but are there any free sites available? I live in Australia and already subscribe to a couple of sites already! Cheers, Rob

not for parish records for Co. Westmeath.

I believe the Family History Centres (LDS) have films for Some RC parishes for Co. Westmeath, but dont know if they cover other denominations in the same way. See details on the Irish Times website : RC Parishes Westmeath

Without knowing a parish a search would be a fairly major undertaking as you would have to search all available parishes, and it's also worth remembering that not all parishes have records going back to the dates you need.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane and actually I have no idea of a Parish so am prepared for some extensive searching! Roughly how many parishes are involved? It's a pity all of these records are not centralised by now too!! Ciao, Rob

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea of a Parish so am prepared for some extensive searching! Roughly how many parishes are involved?

that depends on the denomination ... I dont know anything about Baptist records but there are about 60 civil parishes in Westmeath. Civil parishes are usually the same as Church of Ireland parishes.

The list I have from the RCB library (which holds the CofI records) shows details available for about 30 parishes, but note that quite a number of these do not have records back to the 1830s.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 20:37 GMT (UK) »
If you think Wm Mullin may have been a COI Minister, you can check that in Crockfords (which includes Anglican Ministers in Ireland & Scotland as well as England & Wales).

I think you have to contact the librarian at Lambeth Palace for historical enquiries.

www.crockford.org.uk/standard.asp?id=114

Presumably the Baptist Church also keeps records of their Ministers, though I am not certain where.
Elwyn

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 February 11 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Elwyn much obliged thanks, Rob