Author Topic: James MEACHER, b abt 1775, ?Bishop's Waltham  (Read 1040 times)

Offline jayrite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James MEACHER, b abt 1775, ?Bishop's Waltham
« on: Monday 18 April 05 19:39 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone find any records of the birth, chr, or parents of the above? His age varies in censuses. He was b Bishop's Waltham acc. to the 1851 for Gomshall, Shere, Surrey, but I haven't been able to find him in BW. He travelled around Hants. a bit before settling in Shere, where he was a tanner. He's MACHER in the 1841 Gomshall census, and there are many other spelling vars. (METYER, METIER, METURE, ME(A)(T)CHER, etc.).
Many thanks.
Jay

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James MEACHER, b abt 1775, ?Bishop's Waltham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 05 19:48 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone find any records of the birth, chr, or parents of the above? His age varies in censuses. He was b Bishop's Waltham acc. to the 1851 for Gomshall, Shere, Surrey, but I haven't been able to find him in BW. He travelled around Hants. a bit before settling in Shere, where he was a tanner. He's MACHER in the 1841 Gomshall census, and there are many other spelling vars. (METYER, METIER, METURE, ME(A)(T)CHER, etc.).
Many thanks.
Jay
Jay
this is from the BVRI

James Meacher chris 12/7/1863 Romey Hamps

father Henry Meacher
mother Sarah

audrey

Offline jayrite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James MEACHER, b abt 1775, ?Bishop's Waltham
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 05 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, Audrey. A bit late for my James, though, and his family had left Hants. for good by 1841, his descendants ending up in Bermondsey, Surrey (London). There were METIERs, etc., in Hants. from 1500s- I just can't link my James to any of them!
All the best.
Jay