Author Topic: Help with my Smith Family Please!  (Read 4211 times)

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help with my Smith Family Please!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcie

The surviving WW1 records sometimes include quite a lot of family data. Generally there will be the name and address of the next of kin on service records but not always. Very occasionally the medal cards will also include an address for a family member but this is very rare.

I once found the record of a Birmingham man which included correspondence from two women claiming to be his common law wife. This was a fascinating bit of family history but sadly extremely rare.

All the best

Gobbo
Aberdeenshire - Chalmers, Crocker, Dalrymple, Kelman
Fife - Co?per, Dun, Jackson
NE England - Harland, Hasted, Heaviside, Longridge, Thompson
SE England - Drawbridge, Hall, Hayward, Howard, Newell, Seward, Slade, Smith

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 20:05 GMT (UK) »
 Hi, just found William Alexander Smith and Irene Murdoch marriage date
21 December 1909, so I am now looking for information from the 1911 census.  Found it on the IGI
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 February 11 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcie

I could not find the Smith-Nurdoch marriage on Familysearch but by jiggling the search options on Scotlandspeople it looks as if it was registered in Pollokshields in 1909. You will have to wait until next month before the Scotland 1911 census comes available.

All the best

Gobbo

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 February 11 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks gobbo,
 that will suit me, waiting for a cheque to turn up abt 21st. this mnth, when it clears, will be up and running again.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 February 11 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcie

Finding what happened to Agnes and Maggie Smith after 1891 is difficult and might be quite expensive. The could have died, married, emigrated or some combination of these before the 1901 census.

I have tried searching 1901 for Agnes *, born Campbeltown, 1878 +/- 1.  There are quite a few possible Agneses, who are married - Agnes McHees, Ferrier, Mackie, Milroy, McMillan all living in the Glasgow area but I have found no signs of a marriage between a man with any of these surnames and an Agnes Smith between 1894 (when Agnes was 16) and 1901.

Scotlandspeople has 14 Agnes Smith marriages in Renfrewshire between 1894 and 1901. If the search is restricted to the districts around Pollokshaw, that is I think Cathcart, Paisley and Renfrew the number of marriages is reduced to 5. For both 14 and 5 marriages you can view the search list for one credit. This gives a table showing the year of the marriage, the names of the groom and bride and the district but not the names of the parents. To get the parents' names you will have to view the copy of the registration entry and I think this costs five credits per entry viewed.

Good luck when your cheque comes in

Gobbo

Offline attards

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 March 13 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Oldgobbo,
what is your real name, can't keep referring to you as that, seems a little rude to me to call you like that.

Currently I am out of credits and the means to purchase.  Ancestry used to allow you to see scottish records, now some of the records have to be paid for same as sp.  I have tried the IGI to obtain this info.  wont be in a position to purchase until after the 21st this month. So I will have to be patient.  I think I may have found on sp at least two records out of the three I am looking for.
Thankyou for finding the records for the military, I will check them out when I can to see if that was definately him.  Will also see if I can find William and his wife.  Tried finding info on Alexander and Isabella Schembri but to no avail, so perhaps they moved away.  Her father had come from Malta (British) it said and a language interpreter, Isabella's mother was also Isabelle Carruthers, found a reasonable amount about their ancestry in the past.

It is just that they are, just by the nature of their name, obscure because of the amount of Smiths there are, makes them invisible sometimes.
If I can will return the favour.
Marcie

Dear Marcie, This is my first post and I'm new to this.

I am after info on Isabell Carruthers (mY GG grandma), and Alexander and Isabella nee Schembri... any information is appreciated.