Author Topic: The Cottage Home for Pauper Children - Llantwitfardie  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Cassie0353

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Cottage Home for Pauper Children - Llantwitfardie
« on: Wednesday 16 February 11 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have found that my Mum's uncle was in the above home in the 1911 Census. I can find him in the 1901 Census as the youngest in the family he was born c1899. His name was IVOR LEYSHON.
Does anyone know if there are records on this Home that I can research either directly or through any organisation?.
Does anyone have any information about him after 1911.
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Cassie0353

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: The Cottage Home for Pauper Children - Llantwitfardie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Deaths

Ivor Leyshon b 30.5.1899 died December qtr 1982 Forest of Dean Gloucs 22  1788
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I think these homes were for orphan children or children whose parents were in the local workhouse. The Cottage Homes were a little less stark than the workhouse environment. There were Cottage Homes at Swansea and other places too.

The surviving records should be in the local archive office. For Llantwit Fardre/Pontypridd that might be the Glamorgan Record Office at Cardiff though I'm  not sure.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline Cassie0353

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I would just like to thank you very much for your responses. I apologise for the duplication I was under the impression that they were two different forums (but I am quite new to all of this).
I am amazed that you have been able to give so much information between you both.
I am very grateful to you, just for my own information how did you manage to get a date of birth, not just a year?
Regards and thanks again
Cassie0353

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 19:11 GMT (UK) »
His date of birth is shown on the death registration
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline veeblevort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 19:29 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

For access to records, see: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0bvb/

vv.

Offline Cassie0353

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again to you both and thanks Carole I will not forget that in the future (so I don't look such a blithering idiot.
Regards and thanks again
Cassie0353

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 21:21 GMT (UK) »
No problem - unfortunately - there are a few Ivor Leyshon marriages.  I thought it would be a less common name.  Without knowing any details of wife/children it would not be possible to pinpoint the right one

A copy of his death cert may be a possible starting point if you want to progress

Offline Cassie0353

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 February 11 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole, thanks I have taken your advice and applied for the death certificate. I take it you know all the tips of the trade on Family  Tree Research, this assumption is due to the speed of your original reply which has helped a lot. It has also made me sad that my Mum never knew she had an Uncle, she was so proud of her Welsh heritage. Families must have changed so much over the years, as now days we have a generally good all round knowledge of close family. But my Mum and my Dad had no knowledge at all. My grandad lived with us and he never ever spoke of brothers or sisters and yet he was one of 12. My Mums Mum died when my Mum was only 13 and they had moved from Wales to Cricklewood in London, but not until my Mum was 9, so I would have thought that she would have had some memories of family. I will leave my children as much information as I can possible find about our roots.
Sorry if this is to much info.
Thanks yet, yet again
Cathy