Author Topic: The Cottage Home for Pauper Children - Llantwitfardie  (Read 2678 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: The Cottage Home for Pauper Children - Llantwitfardie
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 February 11 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy

I know exactly what you mean.  Because both my paternal grandparents died long before I was born - I hadn't a clue who they were when I started researching. 

Keep this thread open and when you get the death cert - post details and I'll see if I can work it from there

I've just got a hunch that he may have married twice
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Cassie0353

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 February 11 10:34 GMT (UK) »
You are an absolute angel, it's ordered so should be with me mid-week. If you ever need someone just to troll through records I would be happy to help (limited though my knowledge is). I am housebound due to disability so I can offer time.
Regards
Cathy

Offline purplekatsun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help.  My dad was born in 1925 at 4 Station Terrace, Llantwit Fadre.  He was put into The Cottage Children's home sometime between 1925 and the following few years - I would like to find the admission records of the home - do you know if these exist?  Also would he show up on the 1931 census as being at the home (if he was) even though only 6 years old?  Lastly I know he was adopted from the home - I would like to find the adoption records from the home - would these be accessible too?  Many thanks in advance.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The 1931 census was destroyed during WW2 blitz.   Please see earlier replies on this post re location of records
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 March 23 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Purplekatsun - Glamorgan archives (Cardiff) have various register that including admission, discharge and creed, that they could search, since I doubt they are accessible. You could contact them to undertake a search if the registers are closed  but the fee is £40 an hour. I'm in the process of trying to access adoption records that are also held there but they can only be released following some sort of involvement by a social worker from the adoption services of whatever authority you currently live in. I am currently trying to access adoption records held there myself relating to a relative who died 50 years ago and a child who was in the cottage homes for a few years. I know who all the adoptive and biological parents were and although they are all long since dead and have provided them with court dates, etc etc, and proof of identity from birth certificates etc, etc I have been told that a social worker has to deal with the case and authorise the release of documents. This  will take at least a year unless I opt to pay a private social worker (costing about £1000.00). I have no idea what purpose the social worker is in my case because its not like a normal adoption case where the identity of the adoptive family or adopted children are unknown and they are all dead anyway. Must be a legal technicality or something, but I haven't had a satisfactory explanation from the adoption service as to why this is all necessary.