Author Topic: GGGrandparents Marriage  (Read 6826 times)

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GGGrandparents Marriage
« on: Wednesday 16 February 11 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information on parents of Margaret McGrogan, born Ireland circa 1809, married Hugh McPake(McPeak/e),died 3 Aug. 1860 Carluke,Scotland.
Parents believed to be Hugh McGrogan and Maria Devitt.
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: mcgrogan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 19:00 GMT (UK) »
You need to establish two vital clues to start a search for early Irish Parish Records...the family religion, and their place of residence i.e. the townland, town or parish.

See :
  Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 February 11 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Margaret McGrogan & Hugh McPake(McPeak/e) had 5 children.
Bernard 1836, Hugh 1838, James 1840, Patrick 1843, John 1850. Hugh died 1855 Carluke Scotland,death cert. gives place of birth County Derry, Ireland. Family were RC.
Hope this narrows the field.
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 February 11 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately this just narrows it down to a particular county- to find church records (if they exist) you need to know the parish or actual townland.
Will move this thread to Derry board  :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 February 11 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   All the McGrogan records which I can find (1834 onwards) are in the Magherafelt area as are many of the McPeakes. One marriage which I can find is of James McPeake and Mary McGrogan in Magherafelt Roman Catholic Church on 24 Sept 1834. Most of the later McGrogan marriages are also in this church so I would suggest that this is your starting point. Not sure how far their records go back.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 February 11 15:05 GMT (UK) »
According to the Irish Times pages and the NLI microfilm Index, RC records for the parish of Magherafelt go back to 1834.

NLI film Pos. 5579 / PRONI film MIC.1D/30-31

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Maccahc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi s58roads.

We have connected via ancestry recently so will just update this thread for the benefit of anyone else interested in this family in future.

Hugh Mcgrogan was born in or near Castledawson c1775 according to his militia record obtained from the National Archive at Kew. He served around 22 years in the Londonderry militia until discharge in April 1816, at some point he marries a Molly Davis and they have at least one child Margaret Mcgrogan (born c.1809) who marries Hugh Mcpeake ( born c.1808).

We know from poor law archives in Glasgow that Hugh  and Maggie Mcpeake and their sons all move to Glasgow in or around 1848.

From there it gets speculative, there are 4 Hugh Mcpeakes in the 1831 census index at least one or possibly 2 of which could be ours as Hugh Mcpeakes father was also Hugh Mcpeake and married an Esther Mckerry, I note the Mckerry name doesnt seem to exist in any Co Derry records leaving the guess that she is from outwith the County or is mispelt/transcribed from Mckeffrey of which there are a few in and around the same areas in South East Derry.

Two of the Hughs are in Tamlaght O`crilly, one in Tyanee and one in Ballymacpeake, one in Oldtown which I think is near Bellaghy unless anyone with local knowledge can tell us different and the other is in Ballygruby townland which is East of Moneymore. Trying to locate RC parishes to check all of these Hughs might be difficult but realistically the only way we will know which one(s) ours for sure.

Tyanee seems initially most likely as it also contains an Esther Mcpeake and a Hugh Mcgragan (Mcgrogan).{ EDIT-this Hugh Mcgrogan does not exist in other Tamlaght O`Crilly 1831 database so not so sure}

Griffiths ( completed in 1858 for Derry I think) contains some interesting speculation again in that there is a James, John and Bernard Mcpeake on adjacent tenancies in Derrygarve townland, directly to their left in adjacent tenancies/plots are Davis brothers who seem to be major landowners in the area and directly to the Mcpeakes right over the river (Moyola?) in The Creagh are Mcgrogans again adjacent to the Mcpeakes tenancies. This seems too much of a coincidence as James, John and Bernard are repeated family names but again I can only speculate any relationship to the Hugh Mcpeakes who seem further out from the Castledawson area than this.

There is one James Mcgrogan in Castledawson in the 1831 census who we are speculating may be Hughs son, this is based on the fact there is a James Mcgrogan living next to our Mcpeake family in the 1851 Scotland Census in the Calton area of Glasgow, we haven`t unfortunatlely been able to locate a death cert for him yet to prove or disprove this but again too much coincidence methinks.

Gravestone websites have almost all Mcgrogan burials in Magherafelt parish and one mentioned 3 in Derrygarve itself but I have not "ordered" any of these to date.

Any pointers or ideas on our Mcpeakes and Mcgrogans ( or Davis` or Mckerry) based on the above info from anyone with local knowledge would be more than welcome.

EDIT, all Mcgrogans in the 1901 census for Co. Derry are in Castledawson, seems to be one family quite possibly related.
Mckay,Darragh- Armoy/Culfeightrin, Co.Antrim
Paterson-Holytown
Malise,Malice,Stirling
Lynch-Dooroc,Longford
Daly-Co Laois/Lanarks
O`neill-Enniskillen,Lana
Kelly-Ire/Lanarksh
Rourke-Ire/Lanarksh
Hackett-Pettigo,Fermanagh/Glasgow
Mctear,Lemon-Down/Glasgow
Mcpeak, Mcgrogan,Mckerry-Derry/Lanarkshire
Davitt, Boyle,Roscommon
Limerick, Galbraith-Ire/Ayrsh/Lanarksh
Mcguigan,Morgan-Belfast/Glasgow
Cannon- Leitrim/Lanarks
Mcglade-Armagh/Ditto
(Mc)Comisky-Ire/Linlithgow
Gallocher,Meechan,Hanlon-Donegal

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
GGGrandparents Marriage
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 13 18:05 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the date and location of my GGGrandparents marriage.
Known details as follows:

HUGH MCPEAK(E)/MCPAKE
  b abt 1808 probably Derrygarve townland, Castle Dawson, Co Derry
  d 17 May 1870 Carluke, Scotland
MARGARET(MAGGIE) MCGROGAN
  b abt 1809 probably Creagh townland, Castle Dawson, Co Derry
  d 3 AUG 1860 Carluke, Scotland
First known child Bernard b 1836 Co Derry
They are likely to have been Roman Catholic and arriving in  Scotland abt 1850
Look forward to any new information.
Geoff

New post merged with existing topic
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar

Offline s58roads

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: GGGrandparents Marriage
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 July 21 15:01 BST (UK) »
I have an update for this thread as follows:
 Maccahc refers to James McGrogan in Castledawson in the 1831 census who may be Hugh's son since there is a James McGrogan living next door to the McPake family in the 1851 Scotland census in the Calton area of Glasgow.
This James McGrogan appears in the 1861 Scotland census as John McGrogan and in the 1871 as John McGregan both times in the Calton area of Glasgow. He dies as John McGroggan age 69 on the
 24 May 1872 at 18 Savoy Street, Bridgetown. Glasgow. His parents are Hugh McGroggan, Chelsea Pensioner (deceased) and Mary Divet (deceased) Stat. Deaths 644/3 747. He is buried as John McGrogan age 69 on 26 May 1872 in St Peter's cemetery, Dalbeth. Glasgow.
Hugh McGrogan and Mary Davitt were married on 22 March 1795 in Boyle, Elphin Diocese. Roscommon. They had the following children:
Bridget   baptised 5 Feb 1797 at St John's Limerick. Death details unknown.
John   b1803 d1872 as detailed above.
Margaret   b1809 County Derry d 3 Aug 1860. Death cert. shows parents as Hugh McGrogan, soldier (deceased) and Molly Davit.
Catherine   b1816 County Sligo d 6 May 1884, Death cert. shows parents as Hugh McGrogan, sergeant-foot (deceased) and Mary Davit (deceased)
Hugh McGrogan died on 19 June 1847 in Ballyscullion, County Derry according to UK Royal Hospital Chelsea, Regimental Register of Pensioners.
From the above his wife Mary Divet/Davitt/Davit therefore died between Aug 1860 and May 1872. The precise death details are unknown.
I look forward to any further information on this family.
Geoff
Mann, Forfar
Dalrymple, Closeburn
McPake, Carluke
Stormont, Forfar
Waterston, Forfar