Author Topic: NORTHWICH GUARDIAN  (Read 3723 times)

Offline adj05

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NORTHWICH GUARDIAN
« on: Wednesday 16 February 11 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anybody know where I would be able to view a copy of the Northwich Guardian from 1909?

Thanks.

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: NORTHWICH GUARDIAN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 February 11 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Northwich Library have microfilms/fiche of the Northwich Guardian and Northwich Chronicle. You would need to check with them that 1909 is available as odd years are missing.
Alternatively if you have a copy/date reference you could organise a photocopy via Northwich Library and Cheshire Records Office, or through the British Newspaper Library.
odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adj05

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 11 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Odessa,
My question relates to finding information on the death and burial of William Blease. Its my dad's grandad you see and I would really like to find out for him.
All I know from freebmd is that he died sometime in Jan/Feb/March of 1909. Do you know when the Northwich Guardian actually began?
Do you know who I should contact to see about viewing the papers?
Thanks,
Adam.

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 February 11 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adam,

The Northwich Guardian was established in the 1860's. The reporting of local deaths and funerals in 1909 was not as common as in later years. Mainly people of note in the town, or someone of general interest through their occupation or advanced age.
If you want to view the microfilms yourself, you need to book a film reader in advance with Northwich Library (no charge) . Other than that you would need to employ or ask someone to do this for you - which means you really need to get the date of death sorted first. Looking through up to four months of the Northwich Guardian would take some time, as local news was sometimes used to fill the end of columns on other pages than the one designated for "Local News".
There are no copying facilities from the microfilm at Northwich Library, this is usually achieved by the film being sent to the Records Office along with an application form providing date/page/column details (there is a small charge for this), the other option is to sit and make a transcript from the microfilm.

hope this helps,
odessa.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adj05

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 February 11 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Odessa,
Im just desperate to find out where he is buried for my dad