Author Topic: Campbell in Natal (Capetown?) and McIlwaine in Rhodesia  (Read 28404 times)

Offline Linda Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell in Natal (Capetown?) and McIlwaine in Rhodesia
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 November 21 21:43 GMT (UK) »
By chance I have just come across this site. I am a grandson of Sir Robert McIlwaine of Rhodesia and if anyone is interested I have quite a bit of information about him and his family plus I have some family photographs. Regards.  Peter

Hello Peter, you are my mothers cousin, Peggy Clampit (nee Mcilwaine) and she was delighted to see you on this chat as she really wants to get in touch, as does my aunt Geraldine.  They've often wondered about you and where you ended up.  Lovely that you have many photos of Sir Robert and Lady Sophia, the Rhodesian Archives had some very nice pictures of them both.  I have a lot of newspaper cuttings from his death which my grandparents (Henry Gerard McIlwaine & Kay) kept, as well as the article posted in the Zimbabwe history books.  Of course our family also has Sir Robert's knighthood medal in safe keeping too. Please reach out to me if you can so I can put you in touch with mum if you are able (it is 6 years old) thanks

Offline Linda Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 November 21 20:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for more information on Sophia Mary Hannah who died in England 1939.  I wondered if anyone has more information on her birthplace in Kells Co Antrim, 1884 as well.  She would be my great grandmother.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 November 21 20:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for more information on Sophia Mary Hannah who died in England 1939.  I wondered if anyone has more information on her birthplace in Kells Co Antrim, 1884 as well.  She would be my great grandmother.

Sophia Mary Hanna born 27th May 1883 at Kildrum, Connor.   MMN Kennedy
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02739/2006926.pdf
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/antrim-lower/connor/kells/kildrum/

Sophia in 1901 census.
House 17 in Kildrum (Kells, Antrim).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Kells/Kildrum/931196/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 November 21 21:06 GMT (UK) »

The other family connection is via my great-grandmother's (Zara Jeanette's mother) sister Sophia Mary Hanna (born 1884 in Kells, Co. Antrim) who married Sir Robert Alfred McIlwaine (born 1871 in Larne, Co. Antrim, died 1943 in Rhodesia) who was Solictor-General among other things.

Marriage on 14th October 1902 in Connor Presbyterian Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1902/10287/5744244.pdf

Robert living at Headwood, Ballynure.
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/glenarm-upper/kilwaughter/kilwaughter/headwood/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline samkimber

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda and Peter

I am a probate researcher in the UK currently researching the extended McAllister Hewlings family and in particular the entitled line of Kathleen McAllister Hewlings (1899-1994). I'd be very interested to hear from you in relation to the descendants of Henry and Kathleen McIlwaine in order to complete my report for my solicitor client.

Many thanks
Sam Kimber
Probate Researcher

Offline Gortraney

• RootsChat Member
  • Albert John Higginson and Ellen Skillen Currie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 16:00 GMT (UK) »

Hi Linda,

Delighted to meet you! Sophia was my great grandmother's sister and my great grandmother and her daughter frequently visited Sophia and another sister who both emigrated within a few years of each other.

I have a lot of research on the Hanna family and would love to swap information with you if you are willing.

Trish
Ballinderry, Co. Antrim - Higginson/McCoy
Co. Londonderry - Hammond Higginson
Crevilleyvalley, Ballymena, Co. Antrim - Hanna/Boyle/Kennedy
Boyle, Co. Roscommon - Sloan/McLean
Co. Antrim - William John Sloan/Margaret Kirk
Co. Antrim - Wylie/Anderson
Co. Antrim - Currie (specifically link between Samuel Currie and Sir Donald Currie the shipping magnate)
Drumbo, Co. Down - McIlveen from Saint John McIlveen back to Allen McIlveen
Lurgan, Co. Armagh - Armstrong

Offline C McElwaine

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 September 23 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter and Linda,

According to my Great Grandfather's (Sir Percy McElwaine - Chief Justice Malacca Straits) war diary, his 2x G Grandfather was Sir Robert's G Grandfather, a John McIlwaine. I am really interested in trying to confirm the linkage so any information would be greatly appreciated. I have found the law journal and the 1939 UK register which has Sir Robert's birth date as 1 Nov 1871, which does not match with the Robert McIlwaine born to Henry and Matilda McFall (who's birth date was 15 Oct 1871).  Are you able to confirm who his mother was and whether this is an administration error as I am unable to find any records of Sir Robert's birth certificate.

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 November 23 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am replying to the last post by C McElwaine. I have been researching the McIlwaine family for over 35 years, and can confirm that Sir Robert's parents were definitely, Henry McIlwaine (1833-97) and Matilda McFall. Henry, was a brother of my great great grandmother, Mary Ann McIlwaine (1831-1908) who married Alexander McAllister in 1853.

I would really appreciate if you could help me in my quest to find Sir Robert McIlwaine's descendants, as so far no one has responded to my earlier post on this thread.