Author Topic: RIDOUT - John and/or Samuel - Hammersmith  (Read 4560 times)

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
RIDOUT - John and/or Samuel - Hammersmith
« on: Monday 18 April 05 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

My 3x great grandfather, John RIDOUT's brother, Samuel RIDOUT (b. 1796, Sherborne, Dorset) lived and worked in London. He married Elizabeth Radnor in Marylebone and then moved about a bit - Dorking, Hammersmith, Kensington and St Pancras. The only info I don't have on this man is from the 1841 census. 

John (b. 1785, Sherborne) may have stayed in London, with his wife Martha, perhaps between 1818 and 1822 (he's in Bath either side of those years as shown by the birth of his children, censuses and trade directory listings). Today I found a possible misspelt christening of a Henry REDOUT to John and Martha REDOUT at Hammersmith (no other details on IGI) on 25th February 1821. I believe this may be the same son who died in Bath, in 1840 aged 19, from dropsy. If so then perhaps John joined his brother Samuel in London for a couple of years and Henry was born during that time.

Can anyone help with anything - for example 1841 census (unlikely I know), trade directory entries for either of them for this period - both were cabinet makers/carpenters/French polishers/turners, or perhaps have some idea of the likely institution referred to simply as 'Hammersmith' on the LDS IGI entry. Any information would be most gratefully received.

Thankyou, Karen
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RIDOUT - John and/or Samuel - Hammersmith
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 April 05 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

As you say looking for them in 1841 without an address is a needle in a haystack, however, you might want to try Historical Directories online here: http://www.historicaldirectories.org/

Good luck
Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 05 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks but I've already combed that site - most of the London directories are later than the period I want. I know that there are many of these books about and was hoping someone might have an earlier copy, say for 1820 ish. I was rather reaching with the census though  ;D  still nothing ventured nothing gained !!

Cheers, Karen
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline Dimps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GET STUCK IN...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

Through a strange, convoluted way, I found myself this evening, having started out looking for old pictures of a street in Shoreditch, reading summaries of Old Bailey trials.  One such involved a John Ridout.  The surname struck me as unusual - I've not come across it before.  I then checked Rootschat for "the latest" and spotted your posts.  Anyway, have you seen the following?

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/html_units/1820s/t18211205-94.html

Deborah

Linberry, Chatfield, Faulkner, West in West Sussex<br />Towell, in Shoreditch and Exeter<br />Spurling from Norfolk<br />Bateson from Norfolk<br />Snell, Lorkin, Norman from Suffolk<br />O'Boyle/Boyle from Donegal<br />Murray, McCann, Gunn from Sutherland<br />Davis, Bute from Woolwich<br /><br />Census information contained in this post is Crown copyright:  www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the link. I have seen these Old Bailey transcripts - unfortunately there is more than the odd criminal RIDOUT, including a smuggler and a murderer (although he was set free). I was hopeful when I re-read this case that he might have been the chap I'm looking for but it doesn't fit. Today I heard from a chap in Hammersmith who told me that John's son was born at St Paul's Hammersmith and that John was a servant. I'm not not saying that is impossible but my 3x great grandfather was a French polisher and cabinet maker by trade. The fellow in the Old Bailey case (which refers to a pub in EC1) has John as a publican. Obviously John Ridout is not a rare name at all, as I have found in my studies of this family  ::) Many thanks again for writing.

Cheers, Karen