Author Topic: Clark family, Moffat  (Read 6472 times)

Offline Margaret64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clark family, Moffat
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 March 19 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

I grew up in Moffat and saw a lot of Auntie Mame. I often used to go round to hers to eat my packed lunch as she lived near the school.  At that time I lived at the duck farm. She died in 1977 when I was about 12.  I'm the youngest in our family so I didn't know the cousins since they were all adults and had left Moffat.

Its great to hear that you're in touch with Grant and Junes daughter.  I presume they died in Zimbabwe?

Hope to hear from you again,

Margaret

Offline Ann570

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

Great to hear from you so soon.  Sounds as though you and I are the same age - I too am the youngest of the family, I have two sisters who are 8 and 10 years older than me.  I have heard the duck farm mentioned many times over the years but I don't think I ever visited, but I'm pretty sure my sisters did. Is the duck farm still there?  Only time I remember visiting Mame was in the early '70's - I think she stayed in 'Victoria Place' at the time (not sure if I'm remembering the address correctly).

Grant and June both died in Zimbabwe in 2006.  They returned to England briefly around 1980 but didn't settle and returned to Zimbabwe.  However, their daughter still lives in the north of England.

My sisters and I would love to find out more about Mame.  We don't have any photos of her and our memories of her are sketchy at best.  I think I have to make another post before I am able to send you a personal message - it would be great to hear what you can tell us especially since you grew up in Moffat.  We all stay in Lanarkshire so our knowledge of the Moffat area isn't great.  I remember being in Moffat with my parents on the day of Mame's funeral but I wasn't actually at the funeral itself, so if you know where she is buried that would be good to know.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.  I hope you're still researching the family tree - it certainly becomes addictive!

Ann

Offline Gloria4

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 August 19 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for my great grandmother's family.( her mother is Barbara Clark) and her name is Mary Todd Jackson. Any info on clark, Todd and Jackson would be very helpful. Mary was born about 1850so no records found on Scotlands people . I have her on census docs when she is older and living in Edinburgh , also have her marriage cert which states born in paisley. I have been looking for her for years- my brick wall.  Her husband was from Dalry Kirkudbrightshire and there seems to be connections with Dumfries and Castle Douglas in the past - 19th century. I have old photos taken in Castle Douglas and Dumfries , possibly about the 1880s, but no names on them. There are family resemblances but that's all I have to go on.Any possible connections would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for any help
Gloria

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 August 19 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Gloria

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Marriage certs do not show place of birth. Do you mean Mary's census entries post marriage all showed her born in Paisley?

Can you add some details from her marriage? What address did she give as her residence, her occupation and age? From the censuses, her age varies doesn't it from 1846-51. Her parents' details, were they the same when she died on her death cert? Did parents show as alive or deceased when she married? What occupation showed for her reputed father Andrew Jackson?

From your A/try tree, you show her husband John McGill as deceased in 1889. She went on to have another daughter, Barbara in 1891 in Dumfries didn't she www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT6Z-SLB She was born just before the census in 1891 but doesn't show in the household entry.

Barbara was registered as Todd to mother Mary Todd. This would normally imply that mother's maiden name was Todd. Maybe Mary was illegitimate and reputed father's surname was Jackson /or Todd. Not that this has helped in finding her in the earlier censuses before her marriage so far.... :-\

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 August 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
Gloria, I was having another go to see if I could find Mary in earlier census. I have found her in the 1871 census:

Mary Todd Jackson 22 house maid b. Glasgow St Georges, Lanark

She is working at the Rose household at 19 Windsor Street, Edinburgh St Andrews.

This entry shows Glasgow for the first time doesn't it? Have you looked at the 1911 census entry to see what that has for her?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan Grant

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 February 24 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith
I have been researching my family as well. The name, Peter Gibson Grant Clark, was familiar to me.
You may be searching for this same person.

Here is the information that I have developed.

Peter Gibson Grant Clark
B:17 May 1929 Moffat, Dumfries-shire, Scotland (illegitimate)
D:10 Apr 2006 Bulawayo, Matabeleland North, Zimbabwe

Mother:
Marion Jardine Clark
B:12 Oct 1900 at Harthope Place, Moffat, Dumfriesshire, Scotland
D: unknown

Father (suspected):
William David Johnstone
B:15 Mar 1898 Durisdeer, Dumfries-shire, Scotland
D:12 Jul 1953 Port Colborne, Welland, Ontario, Canada

Maternal Grandparents:
John Clark
B:17 Jan 1871 Blacksteps, Dunscore, Dumfriesshire, Scotland
D:26 Mar 1929 at 2 Rae Street, Moffat, Dumfriesshire, Scotland

Margaret "Maggie" Gibson Grant
B:19 Oct 1873 Moreland, Moffat, Dumfriesshire, Scotland
D:18 Sep 1943 at 31 Ettrick Drive, Moffat, Dumfries-shire, Scotland

Paternal Great-Grandparents:
Robert Clark
B:Abt. 1844 Keir, Dumfriesshire, Scotland
D:6 May 1910 Blacksteps, Dunscore, Dumfriesshire, Scotland

Marion Jardine
B:Abt. 1842 Kirkpatrick, Irongray, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland
D:11 May 1894 Blacksteps, Dunscore, Dumfriesshire, Scotland

Maternal Great-grandparents:
William Ronald McDonald Grant (my 2GGF)
B:15 Jun 1831 Dumfries, Dumfries-shire, Scotland
D:26 Aug 1893 at Harthope Place, Moffat, Dumfriesshire, Scotland

Margaret Gibson (my 2GGM)
B:Abt. 1835 Howslack, Moffat, Dumfries-shire, Scotland
D:7 Nov 1912 at Causeway Street, Moffat, Dumfriesshire, Scotland (usual residence - Viewfield, Moffat, Dumfriesshire, Scotland)

According to the 1901 Scotland Census, John and Maggie (Margaret Gibson Grant) Clark, along with infant daughter, Marion Jardine Clark, lived with Maggie's older sister, Janet Gibson Grant (my GGM).
Also living with Janet Grant were her nephews, James Dewar Grant [B:14 Oct 1894 D:9 Mar 1922] (Maggie's 6-yr-old illegitimate son), Thomas Inglis Grant [B:31 Jan 1889 D:17 Jan 1909] and Janet's son, Thomas Gibson Grant [B:15 Oct 1881 D:23 Oct 1972] (my paternal GF).

I hope this is helpful to you.
Alan