Author Topic: WILSON Parish of Gamrie  (Read 3326 times)

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WILSON Parish of Gamrie
« on: Thursday 17 February 11 10:43 GMT (UK) »
LOOKING FOR INFO RE ABOVE.  MYGRGRGRANDFATHER WAS WM WILSON BORN 1859 -1927 AND LIVED  DARFASH AREA IN THE PARISH OF GAMRIE AS FAR AS I AM AWARE ???

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WILSON Parish of Gamrie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 February 11 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jrocket
I'm deep into delving into William Wilson's in the Gamrie area. I think yours are crofters from the location you specify. Mine were coastal fishermen. Have you any further info on occupation and married to etc? There are an awful lot of William Wilsons in the area and further info would help you and me check if any related to yours. I have one born 1860 Gamrie parish from Census records only since it was his brother Alexander I was interested in and have Birth/Marr/death certs for.
cheers
Jim
Wilson,Wood,Davidson,Lawrence,Mckay.Cardno Stewart,Munro,Christie,Grant,Laurance,Dingwall,Gibb,McLeod,McRae

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 February 11 21:00 GMT (UK) »
 There appears to have been 4 boys, John James William and Alex, and 3 girls Isabella, Elizabeth and Helen.  I think they were crofters, now advised that John was my gr.gr.grandfather not William.  Their father was James  born 1816 in Macduff and he married Ann Machonachie from King Edward.  Hope this helps you out. :-*

Offline lnrwlsn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 February 11 23:05 GMT (UK) »
I, too am looking for ancestors in Gamrie:
* My 3rd great grandfathe,r Walter Wilson (1782-1869), married to Isabella Anderson was born in Gamrie and died in Banff. He's buried in the churchyard in Banff (Children: Alexander, born 1820; John, born 1822; William, born 1823; Margaret, born 1825; Elizabeth, born 1826; Lillia, born 1828; Aiskill, born 1830). His son William, my 2nd great grandfather moved to Aberdeen and his son William, my great grandfather, emigrated to the U.S.
* Walter's father, John Wilson (born about 1754), was also from Gamrie and married to Isabel Patterson from Down (Children: Alexander, born 1781; Walter, born 1782; John, born 1784).
*His father, George Wilson (born about 1720) , married Mary Watt of Gamrie. (Children: Barbara, born 1742; James, born 1744; William, born 1747, John, born 1754; George, born 1753).
Does anyone know anything of any of these Wilsons and if there are still some of their descendants in Gamrie or Banff?
I'd be thrilled with any information!
 :) lnrwlsn

Offline Claire Fraser

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 November 11 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm also trying to trace a William Wilson from Gamrie!  My William was born around 1828 and married Isabella Barlow on 28 December 1854 (just before statutory registration).  I'm trying to find the names of his parents and any help would be greatly appreciated.