Author Topic: Llangollen burials  (Read 5239 times)

Offline JHunt4854

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Llangollen burials
« on: Thursday 17 February 11 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,
It's my first time on Roots Chat, so I hope I'm doing this correctly!
I've recently been told that my gt gt grandparents are both buried in Llangollen Cemetery/Churchyard (I'm afraid I don't know which, if Lllangollen has both), after long believing that they were buried elsewhere.  I live in Germany so getting there is a problem at the moment.  Is there  anyone out there who would be willing to try and find their grave/s for me please (and if successful, possibly make a photo for me too, if that's not being cheeky!)?  If you are able to help me, please reply  and I'll fill you in on their names and further details.
Many many thanks
John

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Llangollen burials
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 February 11 18:23 GMT (UK) »
I cannot promise when I may be able to get there,  as I live some miles away.

How long ago did the burials take place?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline JHunt4854

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 February 11 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for replying so quickly!  Timescale wouldn't be a problem - I've waited years on this, so a bit longer won't hurt!
This is going to sound a bit vague I'm afraid:  SIMEON (sometimes Simon) STEPHEN JONES born in Llanrhaiadr yn Monchant abt 1820 died in Thornaby on Tees, but was buried in Llangollen.  My last trace of him was in the 1861 census when he was 61, so (if he lived to old age) I'm guessing he would have died within 20 or so years after that.  Sorry, I haven't been able to find any death registration for him.

His wife, ANN (nee Kynaston) JONES, born in Ruabon, Denbigshire in 1828, died in Ruabon some time between 1861 (when she was recorded in the census) and 1871 (when husband Simeon is recorded as a widower).  After paying for three incorrect death certificates from the GRO, I'm afraid that again I  can't tell you exactly which year - sorry.  I'm reckoning that she was around her late 30's / early 40's when she died.

I appreciate that the name Jones is going to cause a problem, but if (as I think quite probable) they are buried together, then the Simeon and Ann Jones together might help identify them correctly.

Thanks if you can help, but if you feel that this is just too vague, then I quite understand.
John

Offline JHunt4854

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 February 11 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I meant to say my last trace of Simeon Stephen Jones was in the 1881 censius when he was 61.  Sorry about that.
John

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 February 11 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Have you any idea what their religion may have been?   because some cemeteries  are divided into sections.
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline JHunt4854

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 February 11 19:00 GMT (UK) »
They were married at the Bethlehem Independant Chapel in Rhosllanerchrugog in1847, and Simeon formed/founded/built? some sort of Welsh?Independant Chapel in Thornaby of which he was a leading member.  Others in my family have generally been Methodists.  Is this any help?

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 February 11 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes. It is a help.

Just as an aside:    In many towns in Wales there were or  are multiple different types of Methodists, different "factions"   you may say..   cannot remember all the different names,  but have a feeling one group was called "Primitive Methodists"
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline JHunt4854

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 February 11 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I've heard of several different forms of Methodist Chapels too. Well, if you think you might be able to have a look for me sometime, that would be great.  I'll await to hear from you again sometime.  I'm not sure how it works with Roots Chat, but I can always give you my normal e mail address if needs be.  Please do ask if there's anything else that at can add to help.
John

Offline JHunt4854

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 February 11 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Meant to say:  just as a little extra, which won't help at all in finding their graves!  Ann Jones (nee Kynaston) was (so my grandfather used to say - not yet confirmed), of the Kynaston family who at one time were wealthy land owners and 'Squires' of Plas Kynaston (Kynaston Hall) in Ruabon.  If I can definately link Ann to these earlier Kynastons, then there is a lineage going back to the Plantagenate Kings of England in the Middle Ages.
John