Author Topic: William Hannah and Janet Scott  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Urbanfox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Hannah and Janet Scott
« on: Friday 18 February 11 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Just wondered if anyone had information on the parents of Janet Scott of Seabeggs born1793. She was married to William Hannah. I am aware of a family burial tomb above the wood, Seabeggs which has an inscription of 1756 which mentions a Janet Scott.

Offline Mo1066

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Hannah and Janet Scott
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 11 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Janet died in 1877 , so her death certificate is available on Scotland's People. Her parents were James Scott and Janet Shearer - both of whom were dead by 1877. She was listed as a pauper on her death certificate and died of chronic bronchitis. I have in my notes that she is buried in Bothkennar ( as are several other family members ). I do not have access to my files at present , and have no source listed for her burial.
Hope this helps

Regards
Morag
Hastings, Nicol, Honeyman, Nisbet,McNeill, Farquhar, Kerr, Hannah - mainly in Falkirk/Larbert

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William Hannah and Janet Scott
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 February 11 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the tomb - the following may be of interest:

It is reputed that in 1561 Queen Mary visited Cumbernauld Castle. Tragically, the great hall collapsed during the visit. Mary spent much time in Cumbernauld village comforting relatives of those servants killed in the accident. She also visited Castle Cary, where one of her other “Maries”, Mary Livingston, was staying. The two young women planted a pair of yew trees which still grow in the castle garden.
...................................................................................................................................................................
Near Greenhill, Bonnybridge, Stirlingshire is the burial ground of a branch of the Hannah clan who settled in the Falkirk area in the 1640s.  They were descendants of Dr. James Hanna, Dean of Edinburgh, at whom Jenny Geddes threw her stool in 1637.  His descendants included the Hannah's of Leith a seafaring family, whose arms are as Sorbie but differenced by a Tower between two galleys on a red chief.
...................................................................................................................................................................
St. Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh contains a memorial tablet to Dr. James Hanna, at whom Jenny Geddes threw her stool.  The stool is still preserved in the National Museum of Antiquities, Queen Street, Edinburgh.  His wife was buried in Holyrood Abbey in 1674.

Hope this helps

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate