Author Topic: WHITELAW, NEW  (Read 3453 times)

Offline SantaT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WHITELAW, NEW
« on: Saturday 19 February 11 02:15 GMT (UK) »
The paragraph below is taken from a holding in the British National Archives.  I am interested in whatever anyone knows about the WHITELAWS in Leitrim in the 18th century, and also the NEWCOMENS -- I believe they were there also.

They are somehow connected to the ALGEOS who  lived near Manorhamilton in this period -- as there is a William Whitelaw Algeo, son of Robert Algeo Esq. of Hollymount, and I know there to be also a Lt. Newcomen G(laedow?) Algeo who died about 1820 and a Robert Newcomen Algeo who died about 1849. 

ii) Robert Whitelaw, Newcomen Whitelaw, and William Whitelaw of Dromeen, co.Leitrin, gent.
Castles, hamlets, towns and lands of Clondirelaw (290a.); Towns and lands of Kilmurrey and Clonnecorkir (306a.), towns and lands of Ballyharney, Ballygehir and Clonnerasse (273a.), towns and lands of Derrynidane and Derrynelickey (116a.), town and lands of Derrygihy (86a). 370a. in Droumdigu and Binvorane, 134a. in Cross, 425a. in Ballyduneen alias Corrouragh, 89a. in Dorrigy in Barony of Clonderilaw and co.Clare.
Subject to equity of redemption of Countess of Roscommon.
Consideration: £270.
Endorsed: Release 27th March, 1742
(i) Angela, Dowager Countess of Roscommon
(ii) Robert Newcomen, and William Whitelaw.
Equity of redemption in above lands.
Consideration: £730

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WHITELAW, NEW
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 02:55 BST (UK) »
Newspaper:    Leitrim Journal
Newspaper Content:    Newcomen Whitelaw
Date:    04 April 1863 Newspaper Subject:    LAND ESTATES COURT, WHITELAW NEWCOME RIVERSDALE

Newspaper:    Leitrim Advertiser
Newspaper Content:    Regret re Death above expressed at half yearly meeting of Cavan and Leitrim Railway Company.
Date:    20 Feburary 1896
Newspaper Subject:    KING TENISION HENRY   ERNEST NEWCOMEN EARL OF KINGSTON
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline SantaT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 11:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this.  I will try to follow up further.  I now know that a Robert Algeo of Hollymount, Leitrim had a son, Robert Newcomen Algeo and and another son, William Whitelaw Algeo.  So these families are connected, but so far, hard to see how.

Santa T.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 11:39 BST (UK) »
Yes they probably are, it's just How?

I posted a few Algeo bits on another post... It's only the newspaper index that is on line, hence these 'snippets'... the main thing about them is the date of newspaper entries!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.