Author Topic: 1841 census look up please  (Read 3199 times)

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 census look up please
« on: Saturday 19 February 11 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for

Sophia Kensie/Kensey/McKensey/McKensie/Kinsie/Kinsey (lots of different spellings for surname) nee Wood
born 1767 Canterbury, Kent

I have been given her burial in Canterbury October 1841 so she should be somewhere on the 1841 census.

I also can't find her death registration in 1841 so any assistance would be great please.

Thanks in anticipation ...

PS if it helps, her address for burial was Northgate, Canterbury.

Offline stevecw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 12:50 GMT (UK) »
I've had a quick search on FamilySearch for any event for a Sophia (surname not specified), in Kent in 1841.
She should have resulted in the 2 Life events, Census and Death.
Of the 370 results to this search, I only came up with what you already know: Burial 11th. Oct 1841.
I looked for any similar Surname, nearest was Kemp but as this person was born in 1841, your Sophia seems to be untraceble to me in the Census.
Were there establishments for sick people that were excluded from the Census'?, could it be that she was not resident at her home on the date of the Census due to an illness that she died from the same year?

stevecw

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking; it seems that she remains elusive unless someone else can find her please?

Thanks in anticipation ...

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Were there establishments for sick people that were excluded from the Census'?, could it be that she was not resident at her home on the date of the Census due to an illness that she died from the same year?

stevecw

I transcribe for FreeCEN and have certainly seen workhouse records where only the initials of Inmates are recorded (eg J.S. for John Smith).
CRUST - Kent (Kingsnorth, Mersham)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline stevecw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 23:26 GMT (UK) »
stevecw
I transcribe for FreeCEN and have certainly seen workhouse records where only the initials of Inmates are recorded (eg J.S. for John Smith).
Thanks for that info, I shall bear that in mind, been lucky so far but must admit of all the decades, the 1841 is the one I find the MOST frustrating due to lack of details.

stevecw