Author Topic: Pattison vehicles  (Read 10996 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Pattison vehicles
« on: Sunday 20 February 11 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Near Kew Gardens station (National Archive side) at the end house there is an ancient motor vehicle from the period 1890-1910 at a guess. It is a car or small charabanc, and the name on the bonnet is Pattison or Pattinson. Does anyone have information about this company in general and this vehicle in particular, quick before it finally disintegrates!!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pattison vehicles
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 February 11 18:40 GMT (UK) »
hi rr
i did a google street view last night but couldn,t fathom out where this vehicle was can you give us a more precise location please only i,m intrigued to have a look at it
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 11 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Trevor, Come out of the subway if you arrive from Richmond, or out of the station if from London, bear right and join the street which has Burlington Avenue as its first turn left. The vehicle is part covered by the side of the first house on this road before you reach Burlington Avenue. A look at Google Earth shows it is obscured by undergrowth and bushes in the garden of the first house on West Park Road. Opposite the footbridge at Kew station.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 11 19:39 GMT (UK) »
hi rr
no wonder i couldn,t see it what with that flaming great buddleia in the garden it must be growing through the vehicle i should think whoever lives there doesn,t like a lot of light getting in to fade the curtains i should think i,ve seen places nearly as bad as that but that one takes the biscuit , i,ve had a quick google to try and find a company called pattison/pattinson but no luck so far , it,s a new one on me but will keep looking .
trevor

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 11 20:33 GMT (UK) »
me again
have a look at this site it may b the vehicle in question www.highland-ohio.com/patterson_automobile.htm it relates to the c r patterson & son carriage co .
trevor

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 February 11 20:40 GMT (UK) »
There was also the W A Paterson company in Michigan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paterson_(automobile)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 14:56 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at those sites, and though the period was right, there was nothing that really fitted the bill. I will have another look next time  I go to Kew to ensure I had the name right. In that era there were very many small motor manufacturers. Have you heard of  the Cheswold? It was made in Doncaster around that time, and one is exhibited in the town museum. Subsequently they were bought out by Ford, and  vehicle production continued in the town for many years, I think into the 1960s. If he cut the buddleigh down, the vehicle would probably disintegrate!

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 16:24 GMT (UK) »
I think the name is more associated with light commercials and tractors. UK manufacturer . Ive heard of Fordson/Pattisson vehicles. Fordson made agricultural tractors . Fordson Thames Pattisson all seem to be connected
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Would what appears to be a small charabanc be classed as a light commercial vehicle? Next time to go to Kew I shall take a photograph, foliage permitting!