Author Topic: Jewish ancestors  (Read 5559 times)

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jewish ancestors
« on: Sunday 20 February 11 20:31 GMT (UK) »
I am not really sure where to post this so, moderators, please move it where you will!!

There was always a story in my family about my mother's grandmother who was a lapsed Jewess and married outside of her faith, so I have been trying to trace her back. Her name was Caroline Leah Ruby born in 1830 in Shoreditch and married to Charles Eaton (b 1829 approx). I have managed to trace her mother's ancestors back to the 17th century and think this ties in with the Spanish inquisition as it seems her family fled Spain/Portugal and settled in London. (her mother was Rachel Vanano).

I am totally stuck on the Ruby side of the family though. I have found Joseph Ruby (born 1796, occupation chimney sweep) married to Rachel Vanano and his brother Thomas (also a sweep and born around 1800). I THINK his parents were Joseph Ruby and Elisabeth but I have no more information than that. No birth or death dates and my only clue is that his son Joseph married Rachel Vanano in Middlesex so I guess they were already settled.

My question is this - where is the best place to look now? I have found some Jewish synagogue records which have helped with Rachel Vanano, but nothing turned up for "Ruby". Is it likely that this name was actually something else, like Ruben, or Reuben but was changed on entry to England?

This is becoming increasingly interesting and now makes sense of why my mother had skin which went as brown as a berry in the sun (whilst I stayed pale and interesting!), and had blue black hair (as did her brother, and one of my cousins). I have obviously taken after my father's side of the family with pale skin and freckles! My daughter has a combination of the two and is often asked which country she comes from! (Watford, England!!!)

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 11 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Such a complex subject! I lived in Galicia for some years and an older Spanish friend of Jewish descent  told me a little of the  history.

For a start all Spanish have two surnames!! So any Hebrew names would have been in stark contrast.

Her ancestors had the choice of fleeing the country, suffering the Inquisition and all its horrors or as hers did, changing their name to a Christian "theme" (Cruz /Cross in their case) Others used Pascal(Easter) / Natal (Christmas) or something similar. And adopting the Catholic faith .

Ruby is a Hebrew boys name meaning "Behold a son "

And again with the names of precious stones and metals (which could be used as surnames )then you get involved with the Christian religion who in medieval times  allowed  only Jews to be Money lenders.

Now that I have got both of us both thoroughly confused..I would suggest that you find your nearest Synagogue and ask for help there.Rabbis are well versed in hebrew history

Spring

Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 11 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this! Cruz is indeed a name of one of my ancestors, but goes back on the side of Joseph Ruby's wife. I think the unusual names in her family have made it easier to find them. "Ruby" however, is proving to be almost impossible.

I think I am going to have to shelve this conundrum until the summer holidays when I will have more time to do some tracking down. It has been "eating" at me for a couple of years and I rather hoped that a break from it would somehow refresh my brain and help me to think it all out in a different way. The reality is that the problem is just the same. So  you are right, and what a good suggestion to visit my local synagogue - probably the nearest is Manchester I guess.

However, it is quite nice to have a bit of really interesting family history - most of my ancestors were peasants, agrigultural labourers, coal miners and in the poor house!  :-\

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 11 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris,

According to the marriage registers of London's Great Synagogue, Rachel Vanano (d/o a Sephardi Jew named Yehuda Vanano) married Harris Gisler (Hebrew: Tsvi Hirsh ben Nachme) on 6 Apr 1824.

What records do you have showing that Rachel married Joseph Ruby?

Justin

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 11 13:16 GMT (UK) »
They were married at St Dunstan's in Stepney in December 1820. IGI record states Rachel as as Rachel Vanans (and Joseph as joseph Rubey) but when I found them on Pallots marriage index she was listed as Rachel Vanano so assumed Vanans is a mistranscription.

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 February 11 13:24 GMT (UK) »
PS - I have Rachel Vanano's parents down as Abraham Haim Vanano and Sarah de Mattos, who died in London but is buried in Brazil.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 February 11 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Were Rachel and Joseph recorded together in any of the censuses?

Justin

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 February 11 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Were Rachel and Joseph recorded together in any of the censuses?

Justin

Yes - 1841 - but there he is listed as Joseph Ruber. Have also seen a copy of the marriage Banns dated 26 December 1820. however, two records exist for the marriage, one for 27 August 1820 and the banns for 26 December 1820 - confusing, yes?!

Offline chris23005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 February 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to say that according to Sephardic Jewish tradition, the children are named as follows:

First son is named after paternal grandfather
2nd male is named after maternal grandfather
First daughter named after paternal grandmother
2nd female is named after maternal grandmother
Next child after paternal uncle/aunt
Next child after that named after maternal uncle/aunt
And if one of the grandparents/aunts/uncles is deceased, that takes preference over the living one.

Therefore it is quite likely that there is another Rachel Vanano as cousins would also have the same names but in a different order.