Author Topic: McGehan Family  (Read 2727 times)

Offline melinda3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGehan Family
« on: Saturday 12 February 11 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the McGehan Family and have got back as far as Peter McGehan born abt. 1795 and  died 06 Dec 1866. He listed Londonderry as his birth place on the census in Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland where he moved to. In the OPR Marriage record his name is listed as Patrick and he married Isabella Burns. On his death registration his father is listed as Henry. If anyone has any information that could help me, I would appreciate it.
Graham - Glasgow, Edinburgh, St. Vigeans
Russell - Perthshire
McGehan - Hamilton, Scotland, Ireland
Napier - Aberdeen
Caird - St. Vigeans

Offline melinda3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Henry McGehan - where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 February 11 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I have traced my McGehan Line back to Patrick/Peter McGehan. According to census records from Scotland he was born in Londonderry, Ireland abt. 1793 and was married to Isabella Burns in Hamilton Parish Church, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland 03 Jun 1821. On his death registration his father is listed as Henry. I have found his last name spelled McGihan, McGehan and McGeehan. Where would I start to find his birth? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.
Russell - Perthshire
Napier - Aberdeen
Caird - St. Vigeans

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McGehan Family
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 February 11 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I've merged your two posts on McGehan family to avoid confusion and duplication.
Civil registration of births started in 1864 so for earlier dates you need to see if any church records that include the family survive. To find church records you need to know both the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LostAndFound

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 11 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Melinda3

Sorry I cannot offer any advice on where to find the birth details you are looking for but I was wondering about the McGehan research you have done.  I am also researching the McGehans in my family tree and I wonder if any of yours come from Portaferry in Co. Down or Dublin City.

Thanks

Offline melinda3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 July 11 11:46 BST (UK) »
I wish I knew! The only piece of information I have is from the Scotland census. They state that he was born in Ireland and on the 1851 census it said Londonderry, Ireland. On his marriage registration his name is listed as Patrick and on his death registration his father is listed as Henry McGehan but no mother's name. I wonder if our families are related? The name is not very common, although I have found it spelled many different ways. I have also come to a roadblock in my research of his grandson (also named Peter) who was born in 1850. I can only find him until the 1881 census and then he seems to drop off the planet??? His children were raised by someone else. Which McGehan's are you researching?

Melinda
Russell - Perthshire
Napier - Aberdeen
Caird - St. Vigeans

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 July 11 11:53 BST (UK) »
County Londonderry is not that close to Portaferry, Co. Down and even farther from Dublin so a connection is unlikely. McGehan is often spelt as McGahan or McGahey and isn't that uncommon a surname.

Offline LostAndFound

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 July 11 23:17 BST (UK) »
The McGehans I am researching (my great grandfather and family) were living in Dublin in the late 1800's and into the 1900's.  Thomas McGehan came from Portaferry and his fathers name was Daniel.  Got this from two marriage certs and census.  There is a real problem with how the name was recorded in nearly all registers, church and civil.  It has been written down as everything from Magee to Mageean and all the Mc's in between.

I believe the family does come from Portaferry and that the spelling there is Mageean.  I am heading up there next week to do some research.

I know there are also alot of McGehans in Donegal which is not far from Derry so perhaps that is somewhere for you to look at.

Thanks for getting back to me Melinda3 and thanks Aghadowey for your information to.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 July 11 23:45 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few McGehan (etc.) families in different parts of Co. Londonderry, not all near the Donegal boarder. The problem is finding records which give a place (townland) to start searching.