Author Topic: 1851 Easthampstead - Ewins  (Read 9709 times)

Offline TimEwins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1851 Easthampstead - Ewins
« on: Sunday 20 February 11 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I found a post on this site via a search engine dated 2005! regarding the Ewins family in Easthampstead 1851.

The conversation was between two users maudmutch and DebbieG concerning Charles Ewins

I am a direct descendent of Charles Ewins 1827 and am just starting out on my own investigations.  I would be interested to hear what you found out, even though itys a longshot at 6 years ago !

Regards

Tim Ewins
(Still living in Reading)

Link to older post

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k3brdave33d7q0eg7phmhkk512&action=printpage;topic=79094.0

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Easthampstead - Ewins
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 February 11 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tim & welcome to RootsChat

Once you've made a couple more posts you will be able to send a PM (Private Message) to other RootsChatters by clicking on the green scrolly thing under their name

In the meantime, I will send maudmutch and DebbieG a link to this post for you.  They have both been on this site very recently

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TimEwins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 11 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

Thanks for the information.

I've only just started out on this very addictive hobby

Tim

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 06:23 GMT (UK) »
You'll be back - probably many times   :)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maudmutch

• RootsChat Extra
  • By looking at our past, we can know why we are
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes I am still actively researching my Ewins roots.  I believe Charles (1827) is the son of James Ewins and Maria Deadman.  My ancestor James is his elder brother born 1823.  Since joining this site so many years ago online censuses have made research easier and I have gathered lots of information I can share with you.  I know that Charles was married to Harriet ... and they had children Caroline, Charles and Alice. I know young Charles had 7 children, 5 of whom were alive in 1911 Albert, Nellie, Charles Alfred, Bertha and Stanley Herbert so I guess you are a descendant of one of the sons. 

Please feel free to ask me anything about James and Maria's family I will try to help if I can.
My difficulty is I am miles away from Berkshire so unable to look at original sources but over the years I have been in contact with a good number of family members who have been able to fill in many gaps.

Ewins (Easthampstead)
Cherrington (Shifnal),
Vickers(Heptonstall,Accrington,Blackburn,Preston,Bolton)
Mutch (Bolton/Liverpool) Hamer(Bolton),
Barlow (Bolton),Crop(Hampshire),
Yapp(Ludlow) Chadwick (Bolton)

Offline TimEwins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the information :0) I am at work at the moment but will take a closer look at your posting later.

I am sure we could share our research both ways.

Here are a few things I have found out ...

I too believe that Charles (1827) was the son of James Ewins and Maria Deadman.  I found Maria's maiden name by getting hold of Henry Ewins (1841) Birt Certificate, which was a red herring on a direct line, but a family member nethertheless.

As you said in your original post, Charles 1827) wasn't living with the rest of the family according to a census at the time (next door).

I will soon be able to confirm that he was the son of James and Maria, because I have ordered the birth certificate.  I will let you know when I do.

Charles (c1827) was married to Harriet Hawkins (c1831) and they indeed had Caroline, Charles and Alice. 

My descendant is his son Charles (1851)

Here is My line down from James (c1801)

James (c1801)/ Maria Deadman - Charles (c1827)/Harriet Hawkins - Charles (1851)/Fanny - Albert (1875)/Ada Lamacraft* - Ernest (1901)/Ada Webb -
John (1934)/Patricia Fletcher - Tim Ewins (1964)/Angela Hadland

* I remember visiting Ada Lamacraft as a child, she lived to be 97!

I am living in Reading, and rather oddly working in an ancient barn conversion in Easthampstead !

I am using one of the geneology websites, and this is as far as I have got up the Ewins line.

Another couple of interesting things I've found online recently are that

1) James (c1801) and Maria were born in Ash near Aldershot, and Farnham Surrey respectively, and in Ash there is a street named Ewins Close ..
need to investigate further.

2) Last night I found a reference to Henry Ewins (1841) married to an Elizabeth running a local pub called the Crooked Billet in 1861 ...
one I've been in a few times.

Easthampstead Parish records are apparently kept in the Reading Records Office, so as I am nearby, I will eventually get there.

Please to make contact with a fellow (distant) relative

Tim

Offline maudmutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tim
Yes I have always included Charles as James and Maria Deadman's son. I have all their other children and their families too if you would like them. James is the son of Thomas and Ann of Ash as you say.  It was only yesterday I discovered Ewins Close. What a coincidence. James had siblings George and Jemima and probably John. There may be others.
James (the brother of your ancestor Charles) was killed when a wall he was working on in Easthampstead Park on the Windsor Estate fell on him.
I am in close contact with Anne who is Charles and James' sister Caroline's descendant.
James Ewins (1823) had a several children. His son George joined the Army soon after his father died and was married in India. George had 4 sons and 4 daughters. His third son Edward was my grandfather.
I have found many variations of Ewins which has made searching very difficult but I am ok with James and Maria's family. 
I envy your nearness to the Record Office in Reading I think we can provide you with a list for investigation.

Val
Ewins (Easthampstead)
Cherrington (Shifnal),

Offline TimEwins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 February 11 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the information ... very interesting.  We can share information if you are happy to do so, filling in each other's family branches.

Here is a new bit of information, unfortunately not a great help ....

I visited Easthampstead Parish Church this morning, and took a look around the church cemetary.  I could find no traces of a Ewins there :0(

Of course there are many churches in the area, and I am not sure exactly when they could have died (I was looking 1800-1900).

Met a guy there who said you could get a name search done on the parish church records (for a fee of course), but an option open to me.

Offline maudmutch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 February 11 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tim
Thank you for your post. I don't think our Ewins' were rich enough to have gravestones although I have been in contact with someone else who says there is a gravestone  in Easthampstead with just JE on it and she likes to think it stands for James Ewins. I am not sure who would be the contacts down there for the church records I would willingly pay for a transcript (within reason).  My branch of the family were in Easthampstead between say 1815 and 1865 but when James died in 1857 his wife Ann (Crop) soon entered another relationship with a neighbour, had another child and moved to London with her remaining children a few years later.  This week I will also contact Ash to see what the connection is to Ewins Close.  More later in the week.
Val
Ewins (Easthampstead)
Cherrington (Shifnal),