Author Topic: Richard HARVEY and Margaret CANNING - arrival in Australia  (Read 18151 times)

Offline AUSSIEROSS1

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandpa Harry
    • View Profile
Re: Richard HARVEY and Margaret CANNING - arrival in Australia
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 15 September 11 12:57 BST (UK) »
 :'( :'(

Hi Kate and Essie,
You are not dumb. Never think that. I posted the spreadsheet when I was rather tired, and it is my fault that I did not inform you and Essie the purpose for which it was created.
I created the spreadsheet to identify all occasions where Margaret Canning’s birth place was mentioned, i.e. the date of the certificate, the type of the certificate, the person who the certificate was for, the surname used for Margaret on that certificate, (the estimated age Margaret would have been at the time of that certificate using her marriage certificate age of 19) and where her place of birth was, and who the person was who provided the information for the certificate.
It highlighted variations of what her age of was, and particularly no real consistency in her place of birth. I created this to be a tool to provide me with assurance, or otherwise, to assist me to find accurately where and when she was born, and to ultimately know her true age when she died.

Regards,
Ross.

Offline AUSSIEROSS1

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandpa Harry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 15 September 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
 :) ;)
Hi Kate,
I received today the death certificates for George and Eliza.
Do you know where their cremated remains are buried?
Is it in the Independant Section of the Rookwood Cemetery because I contacted all other separate sections of the cemetery today and they were not registered as being located there.

Thanks & Regards,
Ross.

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 15 September 11 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross
Thanks for your explanation. Yes, yes, yes - I can see it clearly now Margaret's age when the events occurred and the record of her birth place on the documents. The places differ considerably - they are close but do have some distance between them.

As yet Ross I haven't obtained all the pertinent certificates relating to the Harveys and offspring - but am in the process of doing so. And unfortunately I don't know where George and Eliza's cremated remains are but my husband and I can do more research in that area. In the near future we plan to visit Rookwood - I wish I could be of more help.
Regards
Kate
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline AUSSIEROSS1

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandpa Harry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 16 September 11 06:50 BST (UK) »
 :) ;)
Hi Essie and Kate,
I have been looking through Reply #25 that you posted.

At the moment I haven’t been able to obtain anything further on the only William Sansum who was at Kapunda. But I will keep looking.

The William Sansum with father Joseph and mother Hannah I already had a death certificate. This person is not My William Sansum.

I am interested in Mary Sampson with father Richard Rowe Age 52 because it was a Richard Rowe who provided his residence for My William Samsun and Mary Harvey (nee Rowe ) to be married in at Helston near Kapunda 28 Mar 1853. The father of My Mary was William Rowe.

I am also interested in William Sansum married in Victoria 1873. I may be able to obtain prior marriage details from his marriage certificate such as when and where his previous wife died, that is if there was a first wife.

This is all good stuff Essie you have done really well, thank you for your assistance it is most appreciated.

Regards,
Ross.

Offline AUSSIEROSS1

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandpa Harry
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 16 September 11 07:25 BST (UK) »
 :-[ :-[
Hi Essie and Kate,
I refer you to my Reply #34 that I posted.
Well I have some egg on my face. In it I said the following:
The references between 1854-1861 with Dundonald in Scotland and then Dundonald
 being in Ayrshire Scotland were definitely not correct.

Well that was wrong, completely wrong. The reason is I came across the following
reference/source: http://uk.epodunk.com/profiles/scotland/dundonald/3001682

I have shortened the web page and placed important parts below:

Dundonald is in South Ayrshire, Scotland.
It is in the historic county of Ayrshire.
(For more information about the ancient counties of the UK,
see the historic counties page and the place types page.)
Historic sites and museums: Dundonald Castle

Sections below provide additional information and links about Dundonald
travel and tourism, maps, recreation, government and transportation.

Dundonald Web sites
 South Ayrshire Council

Cemeteries
 Scotland cemeteries - message board

Communities
 Communities near Dundonald

Events
 ePodunk festival listings

Family history & family records
 Ayrshire message board
 Birth, marriage and death records - nationwide
 BritishIslesGenWeb
 British phone books 1880-1984
 Census records
 Genuki - Scotland
 Genuki page for Ayrshire
 GenWeb page for South Ayrshire
 Family Records Centre
 General Register Office - UK
 Immigration records
 Military records
 Parish & probate record search
 Probate record guide
 Wills - Search National Archives

This means in future, in relation to UK Geography
 to keep my big mouth shut.

Regards,
Ross.

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 16 September 11 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Essie and Ross,
Again thank you for all your very detailed information. And no egg on your face at all. You are doing an amazing job - it takes a bit of to-ing and fro-ing to get to where you want to be and I am just so grateful for all this discussion concerning the Harveys and Rowes. Please never keep your mouth shut - nothing was amiss. All posts make us asses and reassess what we know - nothing wrong with that.

I consider myself very fortunate in having someone with the same interests. I have learnt so much - particularly with the Cannings. I have been rereading all this information and I have a few questions. However I have a few things on my plate today so will talk later.

Just wanted to let you know my interests continue. Also want to discuss some death and injuries in the mines on information I have found.

Regards
Kate
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline AUSSIEROSS1

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandpa Harry
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 17 September 11 05:12 BST (UK) »
 :) ;) :D
Hi Kate & Essie,
I have prepared another spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet is designed to be a one page presentation for the Birth Family of Richard Harvey and Margaret Canning. I only included Eliza Jane Harvey in it because she was interred in the family plot.

I have sufficient information to prepare another spreadsheet that would include the grandchildren of Richard and Margaret but I want to focus on moving back in generations of birth families. I just want to identify how far back I can go then include the birth family grandchildren afterwards.  Therefore if something happens to me, some family member in the future will be in a good position to complete my work
Whenever I have the time I am also entering the full details I have obtained, i.e. the father, mother, children etc into a data base called Family Tree Maker. I really don’t know how I ever found the time to go to work.

I had difficulty with posting the original size of the spreadsheet so I had to remove the Residences of the people listed on the sheet because of a lack of space.

I hope the spreadsheet is helpful.

Regards,
Ross.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 04 November 11 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Just reading through all the info on this thread. Ross has put a new post on the Ayrshire Board/Scotland this morning. With what I have now read here, I think you might now have some info relating to Margaret and her family to work from. This is basically what I found:

There is a family in Dundonald in 1841 who might fit. Spellings as always for this period are fluid and variable! You are likely to find any form of spelling for the surname around Cannon/Canning/Cunning etc.:

Wm Cannon 35 b. Ireland
Ann Cannon 35 b. Ireland
Janet Cannon 8
Mary Cannon 7
Margt Cannon 6
Wm Cannon 4
Ann Cannon 1

Address: Shewalton Collery, Dundonald

And for 1851 - all the children born in Dundonald:

Willm Cannon 42, miner b. Ireland (likely widowed? can't tell from the transcript)
Mary Cannon 18, tenter
Margt Cannon 17, Hand Loom Weaver Cotton
Wm Cannon 14
Ann Cannon 11

Address: Schoolwynd, Kilbirnie, Ayrshire

A possible reference to sister Janet (who shows with the family in 1841) marrying an Andrew Ireland and leaving for Australia in March 1854 on the 'Forest Monarch'. Her parents are given on her death reg in 1903 in Ballarat, Victoria, as William Canning and Elizabeth Ann Greenleigh.

Sad news is there are no birth or christening entries that I can find for the family in the Old Parish Registers which is a pity. There are always gaps in the registers for lots of reasons. It also cost money to make these registrations and many families didn't. I don't think it would have applied in this case (Ross, you mentioned that Margaret's marriage in 1854 was in a Presbyterian church?) but the also worth bearing in mind when searching Scottish OPRs that these were in the main for the established Church of Scotland, ie presbyterian and not other denominations.

To help with parishes in the county of Ayrshire and counties in Scotland in general, these maps are always useful:

www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-map-ayr.htm
www.scotlandsfamily.com/county-map.htm

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 04 November 11 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I am going to add the Scottish post here. Jonn may have found some Roman Catholic baptisms for the children of William and Elizabeth Ann.... www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,564475.0.html

Never say never in this type of research  ::) ;D

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk