Author Topic: Richard HARVEY and Margaret CANNING - arrival in Australia  (Read 18148 times)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard HARVEY and Margaret CANNING - arrival in Australia
« Reply #45 on: Friday 04 November 11 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Looks this one belongs to the family also:

Death:

BRODIE Annie age 44yrs d. 1884 BALLARAT #167
Father: Canning Wm
Mother: Ann GREENLESS

Marriage:

BRODIE George m. CANNING Ann 1860 #1689

There are also a large number of children born to them which repeat the family given names.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 04 November 11 14:10 GMT (UK) »
The IRELAND/CANNING & BRODIE/CANNING families are also buried at Ballarat cemetery:

http://ballaratcemeteries.com.au/php/search.php

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 04 November 11 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Merlin, there is a daughter Ann showing on the 1841/51 Scottish censuses. Born c.1840 so death year and age would fit for her.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AUSSIEROSS1

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandpa Harry
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 05 November 11 22:32 GMT (UK) »
This is an update to the birth family of Richard and Margaret which was posted on page 5 of topic Richard Harvey and Margaret Canning - arrival in Australia.

I have been chasing the birth certificate for Edward Harvey who died on 17 August 1897 aged 39 years and is buried at Ballarat Cemetery Area F1 Section 11 Location 3R2. The answer is plain and simple. Yes of course he was born but registered under the name Richard born 9 November 1858 but Registered 1859 no. 2314.  For some reason the parents chose to change it and use the name Edward, or the informant for the registration i.e. his mother made a mistake.  But no matter what it should have been the result is the registered birth certificate says Richard and registered death certificate says Edward.

Also there is insufficient time for 2 confinements and the family didn’t inform the death of a ‘Richard’ on any BDM registered certificates.

The birth certificate for Joseph Harvey dated 9 May 1863 Registered 1863 no. 6130 mentions Edward as being 3 years, so they were using the name Edward then.

I only have one family member’s death certificate to locate now to complete the spreadsheet and that is the death certificate for Mary Jane Harvey born 16 October 1876 Registered 1878 no.13693. It has been difficult to find because she may have married, and/or moved interstate and eventually died making it more difficult but I will not be deterred, I WILL find it.

Regards to all, AUSSIEROSS1.

Offline AUSSIEROSS1

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandpa Harry
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Merlin, Thank you for your contribution towards the cause to find the birth family of Margaret Canning.  It is very much appreciated. ;D

You know I have been on this quest for over 2 years and I just knew that this William Canning, who died 2 Nov 1890 aged 84 was the father of my Margaret.
But I didn’t know how to prove it.

Now with the contributions received by people like your good self I would say that whiteKat & AUSSIEROSS1 are very close to achieving our objective. 8)

MonicaL did indicate in an earlier posting we may not be able obtain registered documents to prove our theories. We shall see  ;) :)

Regards AUSSIEROSS1.

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all,

I have been away but I am home now and have just read all the recent posts. You people - monical, MERLIN and AUSSIROSS 1 - are absolutely amazing with your input and effort, and the interest you show in other people's ancestral searches. I can't thank you enough.

I have yet to digest all of the information and put it all in perspective but it does appear that we are closing in on these elusive ancestors with some positive outcomes. I have some homework to do but in the meantime I needed to post my thanks to all for all your generosity.

Regards
Kate
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 09:51 GMT (UK) »

MonicaL did indicate in an earlier posting we may not be able obtain registered documents to prove our theories. We shall see  ;) :)

;D Ah, Ross, that was before Jonn's (from the Ayrshire Board) great find on the Roman Catholic Pre 1855 registers here www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Monica

Offline AUSSIEROSS1

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandpa Harry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello All. ;D ;DP
Please be advised that Margaret Cannon was born on 04/04/1835 to William Cannon and Anne Greenlees,
and later baptised at Irvine on 13/06/1835 in St.Margaret's Ayr.  ;) :)

I'm having trouble getting her siblings but I will try again tomorrow. :(

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Ross, less is sometimes more for searches on SP where spellings are rigid without the use of a wildcard.

Try searching for C*N*N* surname (no first names). Then William (father) and mother Ann*. For Ann*'s surname search as GREENL*.

You should get 8 entries. I think there are some pairs there, such as two entries for Margaret's details. All 8 entries seem to show at St Margaret's, Ayr.

Monica