Author Topic: Richard HARVEY and Margaret CANNING - arrival in Australia  (Read 18150 times)

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard HARVEY and Margaret CANNING - arrival in Australia
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

On the subject of Margaret's surname I recently found a very basic handwritten family tree written by my mother many years back and on that she had Margaret's surname as 'Cannon'.

Margaret Canning/Cannon was my mother's Great Grandmother and so in family storytelling the name 'Cannon' must have been spoken of with some confidence in this name. This is just a little thing but could possibly be taken as further substantiation of the surname varying between Cannon and Canning.

I am really thrilled with all the findings and discussion leading to hopefully pinpointing our true ancestors.

Regards
Kate
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline sharon616

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 29 September 14 16:30 BST (UK) »
My name is Sharon Watson    Richard and  Margaret were also my GG parents.  I live in Ballarat   and can help with any enquires you may  have re the area.  I have visted the Ballarat   Cemetery  the graves are hard to locate and some are unmarked.     I am on Ancestry.com  Clurey  family tree.  In relation to William Sansum there is one buried in Ballarat cemetery  died 8/5/1877.  Also buried near him are unnamed twins.    have you any photos .  There is one on Ancestry  a wedding photo of Joseph Harvey and Elizabeth Morris  my grandparents married in 1926 Newtown NSW   Could   Mary Jane have come to Ballarat / Newtown  ????

Offline sharon616

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 29 September 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
if you come to Ballarat  please let me know  great to make  contact         
 miss 616

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 01:12 BST (UK) »
How wonderful of you to make contact. I am absolutely delighted. I wanted to reply immediately but will need to revise again before I reply in more detail. And so kind for your offer of help should I visit Ballarat.  I will talk again soon.

Regards
Kate
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline sharon616

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 15:59 BST (UK) »
nice to hear from you   I will continue my reserch here
 I too need to take all this information in          talk soon

Offline Marslauncher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 21 February 15 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Death
HARVEY Eliza Jane
Father Sior Willie  Mother Elizabeth  GAVIN
At Ballarat   45 years  1921  Reg#4208

Birth
WILLEY Eliza Jane
Father Josiah William Willey  Mother Eliza Mccracken Gavin
At Stawell  1876  Ref#11255

Marriage
HARVEY James born Ballarat West
WILLEY Eliza Jane born Stawell
1893  Reg#4809

Only birth I can see on the indexes.

HARVEY Ruby Eliza
Father James  Mother Eliza Jane WILLEY
At Ballarat  1894  Reg#17467

Cheers
Cando

Ruby Eliza Harvey is my Grandmother, which makes Eliza Jane Harvey (nee Willey) my great Grandmother...

I found this recently ....

WILLEY.- Killed in action on 19th July, 1916 (previously reported missing). Josiah Willey, loving husband of Mary and father of Mary, Josiah, Eileen, and Kathleen; only son of the late Josiah Willey, of Stawell, and Mrs Merry, of Ballarat and brother of Mrs J. Harvey and uncle of Ruby; aged 28 years.

Note: he was actually 38 not 28

War service: Egypt, Western Front

Taken on strength, 59th Bn, Ferry Post, 24 May 1916.

Embarked Alexandria to join the British Expeditionary Force, 18 June 1916; disembarked Marseilles, France, 29 June 1916.

Posted missing, 19 July 1916.

Court of Enquiry, held in the field, 29 August 1917, pronounced fate as 'Killed in Action, 19 July 1916'.

Handwritten note on Form B103: 'Presumed Buried in No Man's Land approx 5J90 43 to 5K02.5.1 Sheet Hazebrouck 5A'.

Statement, Red Cross File No 2950410, 3238 Sergeant E.A.O. BAKER, C Company, 59th Bn (patient, Woodcote Park Hospital, England), 12 October 1916: 'Willey was hanging, badly wounded, on barbed wire in a creek at Armentieres, up to his waist in water. Informant was being carried down wounded and saw this. He got out of his stretcher so as to enable the bearers to go to Wiley's assistance ... Informant does not know what happened after that.'

He died on the worst day in Australia's history - In WW1 on The Western Front at the Battle of Fromelles (19th of July 1916), Australia experienced its worst day in history (not just military history).  A total of 5,533 casualties (with 2,000 dead) in one night.  The catch cry of the battle was "Don't forget me cobber" due to the fact that so many soldiers were left wounded in no man's land.  For the 3 days and nights after the battle, men risked their lives to go into no man's land to save 300 of their wounded mates.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.