Author Topic: Help with my brickwall!  (Read 3394 times)

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with my brickwall!
« on: Monday 21 February 11 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
Ive since discovered i have been tracing and researching the wrong family the last few weeks and i am now back at square one and once again  hit a complete brick wall ! Im hoping if i start again from the beginning some kind Roots Chatter can help me knock it down and help me trace the right family!
Firstly i am trying to trace my ggg Grans parents
She was baptised Sarah Archard in Fifeild by Burford/Witney in 1809
Her parents were James and Hannah (this where my brickwall starts) they could be Orchard,Archard or Archer i have no idea
If its any help Sarah had a sister called Anne also baptised in Fifield this time in 1814 to James and Hannah.
Also i have Sarahs marriage details if thats any help
1829 in  Moreton in marsh she married a  William Clarke

Secoundly there was a Harriett Orchard baptised in Burford between 1809 and 1814 id very much like to know if she is Sarah and Annes sister?
Big ask i know but if anyone could please help me answer the above two questions id be really really greatfull
   Many thanks
     Dunc

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with my brickwall!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 February 11 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dunc,

The only marriage I could find using the christian names and surname variations, is James Orchard to Hannah Gray.  6 Feb 1834 Cowley, Oxfordshire.

The nearest marriage, with baptism dates in mind, for James ARCHER(a lodger) to Mary Ann HATTAWAY(a lodger).  6 Apr. 1807. Oxford St.Ebbe.

No James ARCHARD marriages at all.

Steve. :)

Info from OxFHS Marriage index.
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 11 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve
Thanks for reply
It looks like the 1834 marriage date would be too late
When Sarah married William Clarke in 1829 she usesd the surname Archer but was definately baptised Archard which is a variation ive been told of Orchard,So if no Archard marriages its looking like James and Hannah would of used surname of Orchard or Archer?
This is where my problem starts without knowing their surname i cant start to trace them before or after Sarahs baptism its a nightmare!
   Dunc :)

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 February 11 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dunc ...

Both Fifield and Burford and right on the Oxfordshire "border", so you may need to look outside of the county for James and Hannah's marriage (particularly bearing in mind that brides very often married in their home parish and then moved to that of their husband).

Having done a quick search for the ARCHARD surname on the Family Search website, there are none listed in Oxfordshire, but quite a few in Berkshire - particularly Stanford-in-the-Vale.
This parish is not included in the OMI (as it was only transferred to Oxfordshire in the early 1970s), but is included in the N. Berkshire MI.  The OFHS can do a look up for you (small charge) - see "Search Services" at www.ofhs.org.uk.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 11 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pennie,thanks for reply i think you may be right and that James and Hannah could well of been from outside Oxfordshire so maybe a search of Berkshire is worth a look at ,the Baptism records for sarah 1809 and Anne 1814 i came across on the net by googling Fifield Baptisms as i havent got access to A......y, unfortuneately it didnt mention  if parents surmame was Archard etc which would of been helpful! Kind regards Dunc.

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Ive just had another look at the original post and info i was sent and it says Sarahs parents were James and Hannah  Archer,James Archers  occupation given as Labourer hopefully this will make them easier to trace on the census records and if  any one can find em it would be really appreciated,thanks Dunc

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dunc ...

I had another quick look at the OMI for marriages in Fifield. 

There were two (male) ARCHER marriages, both in 1769 - James (of Sarsden) and Samuel (of Lr Swell GLS).  There were no female ARCHER marriages.

No marriages (male or female) for ARCHARD or ORCHARD at Fifield.

Possibly another couple of leads to follow?

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pennie,thanks for taking the time to do those look up for me it was really good of you maybe one of em may have been James father?i think as the baptism record shows no Archers etc after 1814 it must be a possibility they werent originally from Fifield or they were there doing seasonal work maybe not sure what anyone else thinks? Thanks again Dunc

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 February 11 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Dunc

Found them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Archer married Hannah Masters in 1809 at Westcote which is literally the other side of the A424  to Fifield.
The marriage is listed in Pallots.

Nigel

PM me your e mail address again and I can send you a copy of the entry chap
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,