Author Topic: Heir Hunters TV programme  (Read 66352 times)

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
  • At least one of my ancestors was glamorous!
    • View Profile
Re: Heir Hunters TV programme
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Watched this morning.
Amazed to see a copy of a death cert -"We were able to get it online"!
Was there a time lapse of a day or two?
It seemed to be instant.
Can someone explain?
Oh twere that easy!
Kooky

I noticed this too - it was for two recent (since 206) deaths. I wonder if FF have access to more recent certificates on line for what I imagine would be a HUGE subscription?  Can you explain please Neil?
Wilson in the Lancaster area
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Nunn in Norfolk and Co Durham
Smith in Glasgow
Haig in Peebles/Edinburgh
Also Nelson, Gardener, Garnett, Blair, Coleman, Aaronson and many more as the branches expand!

Census info is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Lots of people on Ancestry have copies of certificates online, and F & F have a special subscription to Ancestry (see an earlier post by Neil), so it's possible they got a copy there.  You can't get certificates in the UK online from the GRO or any Register Office, because it's not legal.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 28 January 10 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Lots of people on Ancestry have copies of certificates online, and F & F have a special subscription to Ancestry (see an earlier post by Neil), so it's possible they got a copy there.  You can't get certificates in the UK online from the GRO or any Register Office, because it's not legal.

Sorry but I think that is misleading.

True you can order certificates online from Ancestry, but they then have to get them from the GRO and they are certified copies and take about a fortnight to arrive - and are VERY expensive
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline violeign

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 28 January 10 12:03 GMT (UK) »
I think what Nick29 is getting at is that people attach scans of certificates in their possession to their family trees on Ancestry.

You can of course order certificates from the GRO directly online, there has been talk of digitising certificates and making an image available when you place an order, but you have to have the certified hard-copy as well.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 28 January 10 12:24 GMT (UK) »
I think what Nick29 is getting at is that people attach scans of certificates in their possession to their family trees on Ancestry.

Opps, hadn't thought of that!
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 28 January 10 16:15 GMT (UK) »

You can of course order certificates from the GRO directly online, there has been talk of digitising certificates and making an image available when you place an order, but you have to have the certified hard-copy as well.

Yes, that's what I meant.  Sorry if I didn't make it clear.  Neil F. said that Fraser & Fraser pay a fortune to Ancestry for a subscription, because the fees that you and I would pay are for private use only, and not for business use.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 28 January 10 16:39 GMT (UK) »
As I said the sooner we get involved the better in most cases.

We have worked cases given to us by neighbours that we have solved and the heirs have been able to attend the funeral. It is the best for every one.

Just last year we worked a case that started at over 1.3 mill at the time of death, £300k in property and £1mill in Shares mainly RBS. Because IHT (40%) has to be paid at the value at time of death there was a bill for about £400k to the Gov, it took 2 years for the case to land on our desks and 5 days to have a claim accepted by the TS after that. In this time the share value had reduced to less than £100k by then it was too late to use a dead of variation hence the estate ended up being small. The shares really were a toxic asset worth negative £300k.

So the quicker we can get a case the better

So why do some cases take longer than others to get onto to the BV list ?

How much dies the TS investigate before putting it on the list.

Offline PBirchwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 29 January 10 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Talking about the search room in the Irish Life building, the person wandering around carrying books is me and my company is Celtic Research. We've contributed 7 stories to the show; 4 shown and 3 more to come.
Not only does Neil F buy drinks for people, including competitors, he has also been known to buy lunch!

Offline madpants

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 29 January 10 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!  ;D

I was watching the other day trying to read the spines on your books  :-[  cos they looked like Terry Pratchetts  ;D
GREENWELL - Middlesbrough
TURNBULL - Houghton le Spring, Coxhoe, Spennymoor
DEVEY - Pentonville, Stockton, M'bro
MOHAN/HUN - Stockton on Tees
SCRAFTON - Darlington
BROADBENT - Saddleworth, Ashton Under Lyne
HEMSWELL - Grantham, M'bro
SIMPKINS - M'bro
SIMPKIN - Little Wratting, Suffolk
MALLALIEU - Saddleworth, Ashton U L
GOODWIN - Macclesfield Forest
SUTCLIFFE - Heptonstall, Ashton U L