Author Topic: Danish West Indies (St.Thomas) 1800-1825.Duranty & Greenshields  (Read 2686 times)

Offline greenfarmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Danish West Indies (St.Thomas) 1800-1825.Duranty & Greenshields
« on: Tuesday 22 February 11 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to find birth records and parentage for Alexander Duranty born 1812 in St. Thomas Island (grandfather of Walter Duranty,1932 Pulitzer Prize winner).
Also for birth and parentage records for Jane & Mary Greenshields,born 1819,1821 respectively also in St.Thomas Island.Jane married Alexander Duranty in 1841 in Montreal(described as a merchant),witnessed by Greenshields,Meikles,Wilsons and Armours,all of whom were prominent figures in Canada at that time.Samuel Greenshields being my GGG Grandfather and John Greenshields my GG Grandfather.
Alexander Duranty was not a British born subject and applied for "naturalisation" in 1855 when he lived in Liverpool with Jane and her sister Mary.

If anyone can help,I would be most grateful.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Danish West Indies (St.Thomas) 1800-1825.Duranty & Greenshields
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 22:13 GMT (UK) »
May just be coincidence, but...This ship broker by the name of Greenshields has a wife born St. Thomas, so just in case he is connected will post this entry
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/census/household_record.asp?HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1881BR_1472158
Found this on him, though,with no evidence of his father being a ship broker or merchant....
http://www3.sympatico.ca/karen.black/Greens05x.html

The name comes up as Durandt, Durrant, Durant, Durante under basic West Indies searches, so the spelling in the 1881 census may be phonetics, was it Duranty in the Quebec wedding as well?...

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline greenfarmer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Danish West Indies (St.Thomas) 1800-1825.Duranty & Greenshields
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 February 11 10:11 GMT (UK) »
The ship broker you found is Samuel Blain Greenshields my G Grandfather's brother,who married Helena Mary Robinson.Helena was born in 1835 St.Thomas Island and the only lead I have on her is on LDS microfilm for Danish West Indies Chancery records (1836 will of Joseph & Ellen(Wilson) Robinson).

The Quebec wedding was by licence at St Paul's Presbyterian,and Duranty is with the "Y".Although he was born in St.Thomas,he is down as a merchant from Liverpool and traded with Samuel Blain's father (Liverpool ship owner) and the Greenshields of Montreal (dry goods merchants).

Will try searches using different Duranty variations.

J.J. - From your crest,is your family motto by any chance that of the McCullochs i.e. "vi et animo"?