Author Topic: A metal Rosette on the ribbon bar of my father's P.O uniform jacket.*Completed*  (Read 16149 times)

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
  • under extreme attack but not intimidated
    • View Profile
My father served with the RN/ RAN during WW  2.
On his PO uniform jacket was a thin row of campaign ribbons on a board or stiffened material..
On one of the ribbons was a "Rosette",and I had always been told that it related to my father being mentioned in despatches or similar for his meritorious actions  during the raid on Persian/German interests at Bada Shapur in c 1941/42.
Can one of the experts tell me what the "Rosette" signified ?Was it for some kind of commendation for doing something outstanding during that action ?
I appreciate your time very much !
Thank you !
phipps
Yorkshire / Wiltshire / Cornwall / Swansea / Cardiff and districts / Australia / South Africa.

You are invited to search "Surname interests" that I have logged.-Thank you !

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: A metal Rosette on the ribbon bar of my father's P.O uniform jacket.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Yorkshire / Wiltshire / Cornwall / Swansea / Cardiff and districts / Australia / South Africa.

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 20:12 GMT (UK) »
The oakleaf is a mention-in-despatches, so that seems out then.
Can you describe the ribbon this "rosette" is on? Need another clue here!
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 20:32 GMT (UK) »
The oakleaf is a mention-in-despatches, so that seems out then.
Can you describe the ribbon this "rosette" is on? Need another clue here!
Too long ago,I cannot describe the ribbon,but definately a metal rosette,and it does not figure on his full size medal set or his miniatures.
Thank you for your time neil
Respectfully,
phipps

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 February 11 22:06 GMT (UK) »
CLASPS - A silver numeral '8' or '1' worn centrally on the ribbon indicates service with the Eighth Army (between 23 October 1942 and 12 May 1943), or the First Army (between 8 November 1942 and 12 May 1943). Qualifying personnel are required to have been on the posted strength of, or attached for duty to, a formation or unit which appeared on the Order of Battle of the First or Eighth Army. The first image, above, indicates that the holder has the 8th Army clasp.
A silver rose emblem is worn on the ribbon by personnel of the Royal Navy Inshore Squadron and Merchant Navy vessels which worked inshore between 23 October 1942 and 12 May 1943, and by personnel of the RAF serving between the same dates. The Eighteenth Army Group H.Q. also wear this emblem for service between 15 February 1943 and 12 May 1943.
All three clasps are in bronze on the ribbon bearing the the medal, with the legends: '1st Army', '8th Army', and 'North Africa 1942-1943', in lieu of the silver numerals and rosette. No individual was awarded more than one clasp to any of the campaign stars, the image shown  here at the official Ministry of Defence site showing all three clasps is both misleading and in error. Other campaign stars at this official site are also shown with impossible clasp combinations.
 Pacific Star

Your answer maybe above...Source WWW. ;)

Its on Africa Star Ribbon.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 February 11 07:30 GMT (UK) »

A silver rose emblem is worn on the ribbon by personnel of the Royal Navy Inshore Squadron and Merchant Navy vessels which worked inshore between 23 October 1942 and 12 May 1943,
All three clasps are in bronze on the ribbon bearing the the medal, with the legends: '1st Army', '8th Army', and 'North Africa 1942-1943', in lieu of the silver numerals and rosette. No individual was awarded more than one clasp to any of the campaign stars,

Ady
Ady,Thank you so much.That must be the raid on Bada Shapur by HMS Kanimbla as it was then,and my father was serving on it at the time.
As you can imagine,I do not have his medals here in China but as soon as I get home,I am going to have a careful look at them thanks to your wonderful explanation. I know he has the Africa Star.
I am also going to write to the authorities and tell them they have given my father the wrong medal.He should have the Burma Star with the  Pacific clasp,whereas they have given him the Pacific Star with the Burma Clasp.They will have to reissue to me.I'll absolutely make sure of that !
That is my duty to him and I cannot speak for anyone else.It is for them to study what their loved ones were awarded and sort out the medal mess so many families suffered through beauracratic carelessness.
Thank you so much for clarifying the Rosette for me.
I absolutely value your expertise and time !
Respectfully,
phipps

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 February 11 07:48 GMT (UK) »
I am also going to write to the authorities and tell them they have given my father the wrong medal.He should have the Burma Star with the  Pacific clasp,whereas they have given him the Pacific Star with the Burma Clasp.They will have to reissue to me.I'll absolutely make sure of that !

See here:
http://www.burmastar.org.uk/medal.htm

Oh, I see this has already been explained here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=516283.msg3720565;topicseen

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 February 11 07:52 GMT (UK) »
The rosette is worn on the ribbon when not wearing ones medals.
It has the same significance as the clasp worn with the medal.

It basically shows the medal was awarded to a person who was in action in a war zone rather than a person in a support situation.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.