Author Topic: A metal Rosette on the ribbon bar of my father's P.O uniform jacket.*Completed*  (Read 16150 times)

Offline Teddles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A metal Rosette on the ribbon bar of my father's P.O uniform jacket.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 February 11 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Phipps,

I presume that your father served in the RAN, and if that is so, then

The National Archives of Australia has the service records for all those who served in the Australian Defence Forces during WWII.  These are very detailed records, pages and pages for each individual.  The files include correspondence.  The files also include details of the medals issued to each individual. 

Those charged with the responsibility of issuing medals did so with diligence, care and integrity.  They too have descendants.  Most of those with that responsibility had themselves served in the AIF in WWI.  They well understood the importance the medal receipients would place on their medals. 

The medals that were issued to your father were for HIS service.   If your father felt that he was issued with the wrong medals and he wrote to have that checked, then there would be correspondence about that on his service record.   These records can be digitised and images found online, at the free to search link:

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx

The medals were not issued to you, but to your father.  As I understand it,  The medals remain HIS medals,  and anyone else having custody of them is merely the custodian of them.

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
  • under extreme attack but not intimidated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 February 11 11:02 GMT (UK) »

The medals were not issued to you, but to your father.  As I understand it,  The medals remain HIS medals,  and anyone else having custody of them is merely the custodian of them.

I absolutely disagree with you.
Thank you,
phipps
Yorkshire / Wiltshire / Cornwall / Swansea / Cardiff and districts / Australia / South Africa.

You are invited to search "Surname interests" that I have logged.-Thank you !

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 February 11 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Phipps, do you recall your father ever saying that he had been issued the wrong medals?

Does anyone know:
Apart from simply the order which they were granted, is there any difference (prestige wise) between the Pacific Star with Burma Clasp, and the Burma Star with Pacific Clasp?

No there isnt...

Personnel qualifying for both....got the first star  and a clasp in respect of the second....

So you could have a Pacific Star with a Burma clasp, or a Burma Star with a Pacific clasp or either star with no clasp
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 February 11 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know:
Apart from simply the order which they were granted, is there any difference (prestige wise) between the Pacific Star with Burma Clasp, and the Burma Star with Pacific Clasp?

No there isnt...

Thank you scrimnet.  :)

Offline Teddles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 February 11 11:10 GMT (UK) »
The Burma Star was awarded for service in Burma, China, Malaya and Sumatra between 11 December 1941 and 2 September 1945. The ribbon is dark blue said to represent the British Forces, orange [the sun], with a thick central red stripe [Commonwealth Forces]. The six pointed star is inscribed with the words 'The Burma Star' and may be dressed with a Pacific clasp. 3,700 members of the Royal Australian Navy, 1,311 members of the Royal Australian Air Force and only 36 members of the Australian Army [AIF] were awarded the Burma Star

The Pacific Star was awarded to approximately 205,000 Australians for service in the Pacific from 8 December 1941 to 2 September 1945. The ribbon is red [Army], dark blue [Navy], dark green [jungle], yellow [beaches], and light blue [Royal Air Force]. The Star is inscribed with 'The Pacific Star'. In some instances this star was issued for operational activities in China, Hong Kong and Malaya. Clasps are limited to the Burma.

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 February 11 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know:

No there isnt...
I am not talking about 'prestige-I am talking about historical accuracy

Thank you scrimnet.  :)
Yorkshire / Wiltshire / Cornwall / Swansea / Cardiff and districts / Australia / South Africa.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 February 11 11:16 GMT (UK) »
I am not looking for prestige for my father-I am just looking for accuracy in his service history as depicted in the medals and clasps.
There is a big difference in my mind as between having a medal and having a clasp.I would only be swapping one for another.I cannot have both so I am not looking for an extra medal.I just want the right medal and the right clasp so as to reflect the historical truth,that's all ,
Thank you for your time.
Respectfully,
phipps

I wasn't implying that you were looking for prestige for your father. I simply meant this as a general question about the medals.  ;)

But isn't the clasp the equivalent of a medal?

Offline phipps1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 24 February 11 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Phipps, do you recall your father ever saying that he had been issued the wrong medals?

Does anyone know:
It is the correct order that i am dealing with.

Personnel qualifying for both....got the first star  and a clasp in respect of the second....

So you could have a Pacific Star with a Burma clasp, or a Burma Star with a Pacific clasp or either star with no clasp

Offline Teddles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 24 February 11 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Phipps,

I respect your right to disagree with the view I expressed.  

I am the custodian of my father's, and my grandfather's medals.  These are NOT my medals, they were NOT awarded to me.  At some time in the future, descendants of my Grandfather and of my Father will be asked to undertake the honourable duty to be the custodian of their medals.