Author Topic: Johannes Alexis Magito & Huybertje Ariens m1710 in Rotterdam  (Read 5926 times)

Offline Andro93

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johannes Alexis Magito & Huybertje Ariens m1710 in Rotterdam
« on: Thursday 24 February 11 21:25 GMT (UK) »
       Samuel Simmonds married Angelica Alexis Magito in Portsmouth in 1788. They moved to Bermondsey in London. Angelica is a daughter of Henry Alexis Magito, who is certainly related to the famous Dutch musician and composer Johannes Alexis Magito. He married Huybertje Ariens in Rotterdam in 1710. I would be very pleased to hear from anyone with an interest in this family,

Andrew Wilson

Offline tanawce

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Johannes Alexis Magito & Huybertje Ariens m1710 in Rotterdam
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I do have information of the Magito family. Angelica Alexis Magito is a daughter of Henry Alexis Magito, who is the son of Alexis Magito the composer, born 1711 in Holland.
His father Joannis Alexis Magito lived and worked in Rotterdam. He was married to Huybertje Ariens van Hasselt (Asselt). They had 14 children and anotherone of them, Pieter, became famous.
The archivist of Rotterdam wrote about the family.

Offline Andro93

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
      Dear Tanawce,

Very many thanks for this information. I was not certain how they related to each other. I do know that music by at least one of the Magito family is still played occasionally at concerts. It is my sister-in-law, whose mother's name was Simmonds, who is directly descended from Johannes Magito. Any information you may have would be much appreciated. I have seen Dutch documents on the internet, which state that Johannes' father Alexander came from northern France.

Andrew Wilson

Offline tanawce

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear Andrew
Joannis Alexis Magito was a musician. In fact he was employed by the city of Rotterdam. In a document
  Amsterdam city]  roots in France [Dunkurk] were mentioned, but I have never seen prove.

I'll collect some information in the coming days and I will send you a link to my family site [ under construction at the moment].
My grandmother was a Magito.

Wilma

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is an 'All Resources' search result on the IGI/Family search site for Magito, hope this is helpful:

Link > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ancestorsearchresults.asp?last_name=Magito

Regards
Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tanginitoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 May 14 00:51 BST (UK) »
Greetings!  I have stumbled over these postings whilst searching for clues about an ancestor of mine who goes by the name of Nicholas Alexis and who was a brassfounder (sometimes noted as a blacksmith) in Southwark.  Nicholas and his wife Fanny had a number of children, two of whom went by the name of Henry Alexis.

From the age stated on his death certificate, it would seem that Nicholas was born in about 1770/1771.  The 1841 census states N for not having been born in Surrey, but this could mean that he was born in another County or maybe even overseas. 

As the name Alexis is as scarce as hens teeth in all records, except for the family of Nicholas and Fanny, I feel that it is likely Nicholas (or Nicolas as it is sometimes written) possible came from a European country and possibly anglicised his name on or shortly after arrival. 

On Ancestry there are Marriage Banns for a Nicolas Alexis .................. (word that I cannot decipher) and Fanny Williams.   Many people have had an attempt at trying to decipher the word that follows the name Nicolas Alexis, and I have a list which includes the following....
Magetol, Magetob, Magetod, Mayetol and one lady even came up with Magito.

I am wondering if anyone has more details about this Magito family which might include 'my' Nicholas?  His first born son was named Henry Alexis and I cannot help wondering if this might be after Henry Alexis Magito?    It does seem strange though, that if he was indeed part of the Magito family, that he would drop the name especially having a famous musician as a relation.  I guess that there is always the possibility he may have been cast out of the family for some reason.

Any suggestions at all to help me break down this long standing brick wall, would be most gratefully received.  Cheers, Diana   
Major names of interest:
Alexis,  Ashworth (from Whittlesey, Cambs.),Atwater, Belsham, Brown (Pudsey), Chick,Col(l)om, Evans (Southwark & Woolwich), Forster (Cheshire), Gardner (Bow & Stepney), Gray (Cambridge),Lea (Staffs & Cheshire) Longmate, Pain (Devon) Parke, Parker (Hanley, Staffs), Plant, Proctor (Lincoln & Newark),
Treeby (Devon), Ward Pudsey

Offline Andro93

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 May 14 21:48 BST (UK) »
  Diana (tanginitoo):  Many thanks for your question and information. I would be amazed if your Nicholas is not related to the Magitos from Rotterdam, but I shall have to search for my notes and records! I know that one of the family died in Cambridge, and I will get back to you as soon as I have anything more definite!  Andrew Wilson.

Offline tanginitoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 04:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for getting back to me Andrew!  I am positively excited at the thought I might finally be on the right track after many years of bashing into one brick wall after another!  I look forward to hearing from you when you have had time to look at your records.  Kind regards, Diana
Major names of interest:
Alexis,  Ashworth (from Whittlesey, Cambs.),Atwater, Belsham, Brown (Pudsey), Chick,Col(l)om, Evans (Southwark & Woolwich), Forster (Cheshire), Gardner (Bow & Stepney), Gray (Cambridge),Lea (Staffs & Cheshire) Longmate, Pain (Devon) Parke, Parker (Hanley, Staffs), Plant, Proctor (Lincoln & Newark),
Treeby (Devon), Ward Pudsey

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 07:28 BST (UK) »
re Johannes and Huybertje
Johannes b 1679 - died 1769   
Huybertje b 1689 - died 1749 .....
parents of Johannes Magito are given as
Michael Magito and Ann Catherine Magito ...don`t know her maiden name
children Johannes / Angelica / Evalina

it looks complicated - but have a look at this tree

http://gw.geneanet.org/kaj1940?lang=en&v=MAGITO&m=N
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford