Author Topic: Edward Woods  (Read 2170 times)

Offline vpd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Woods
« on: Friday 25 February 11 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Edward Woods b 1826 married Bridget McMahon at Magheraculmoney, Fermanagh in 1852, its thought that she was born in Magheraculmoney in 1827. They lived in Ireland for many years before taking their family to Glasgow.
Can you advise if I can get a marriage cert for the couple??
Davies, Woods,

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Woods
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 February 11 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Civil Registration of Protestant marriages and Registry office marriages started in 1846 so certificates are available for these but Catholic registration did not start until 1864 so if ths marriage was in a Catholic Church there will be no certificate, only the church record if this exists.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline vpd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 February 11 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that the marriage was a catholic one but can't be sure at this stage so I might need to check both sets of records if thats possible?? given that the CoE records started earliest would that be the best place to start? and can anyone advise where these records are kept and how one goes about accessing them??

Many Thanks
Davies, Woods,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 February 11 12:24 GMT (UK) »
The civil registration index is online (free) - covers Catholic marriages from 1864 and non-Catholic ones (including Registry Office) from 1845 so that's the best place to start. You'll need to search for bride and groom separately then cross-reference the results. See this topic-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433042.0.html

If it was a Catholic ceremony pre-1864 then unfortunately there's no central database or index to search and it's a matter of checking which parishes have surviving records in the place your ancestors lived.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!