Author Topic: Maryport families  (Read 9355 times)

Offline anywilkinsons

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maryport families
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 February 12 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello!
The scrapbook includes a clipping detailing the death (and life) of Miss Hannah Penn.  It is undated, but looking at the other snippets on the same page, I am guessing it comes from c.1944/45.
The piece is entitled, 'Death of Maryport Headmistress'.
It says there was 'a large attendance of school teaching and local friends at the service in St Mary's Church, Maryport, on Wednesday preceding the internment of Miss Hannah Penn, headmistress of Christ Church Infants School for nearly 25 years.  She died a few days before her 60th birthday and three days after her last day in charge of the school.'

The piece goes on, to say that Miss Penn lived in Curzon Street and her brother was Robert Penn who was remembered as a fullback in the Maryport AFC Shield team that had been beaten by Distington in the final in 1920.  She also had sisters; Mrs Moore (Manchester); Mrs Postlethwaite (Chorley and Mrs Whitsitt of Northern Ireland.

Should this Miss Penn be your 'MisS Penn' I will happily transcribe the whole piece and send via PM.

HART - Watford, Hertfordshire
WILKINSON - Maryport, Cumberland
HARPER - Wellingborough, Northamptonshire

Offline Inicky

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 February 12 15:53 GMT (UK) »
hello,

im interested in the coopers, would be wonderful to have any information thank you

Offline anywilkinsons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 February 12 16:52 GMT (UK) »
The cutting is dated 23 July 1918 - and headed, 'Marriage at Maryport'
The marriage of Mr Charles Cooper M.Sc, eldest son of Mrs and the late Mr A Cooper, 98 Cranbourne Road, Ashton Under Lyne to Frances Scott.
The cutting goes on to say that Mr Cooper was 'formerly analytical chemist at the West Cumberland By-Products Works...'.
It sounds like this Cooper family was not from the Maryport area.
(If these are your Coopers, I'll happily transcribe the remainder of the cutting and send to you via PM.)
HART - Watford, Hertfordshire
WILKINSON - Maryport, Cumberland
HARPER - Wellingborough, Northamptonshire

Offline Inicky

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 February 12 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you for the information,

I haven't sussed it all out yet but i believe my coopers may have come from the Gloucestershire area then moved to Maryport, however that was in the 1700's. i need to dig out more info on this side of my family.

thank you once again for your time

Offline RosyBlakesley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 August 21 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hello!
The scrapbook includes a clipping detailing the death (and life) of Miss Hannah Penn.  It is undated, but looking at the other snippets on the same page, I am guessing it comes from c.1944/45.
The piece is entitled, 'Death of Maryport Headmistress'.
It says there was 'a large attendance of school teaching and local friends at the service in St Mary's Church, Maryport, on Wednesday preceding the internment of Miss Hannah Penn, headmistress of Christ Church Infants School for nearly 25 years.  She died a few days before her 60th birthday and three days after her last day in charge of the school.'

The piece goes on, to say that Miss Penn lived in Curzon Street and her brother was Robert Penn who was remembered as a fullback in the Maryport AFC Shield team that had been beaten by Distington in the final in 1920.  She also had sisters; Mrs Moore (Manchester); Mrs Postlethwaite (Chorley and Mrs Whitsitt of Northern Ireland.

Should this Miss Penn be your 'MisS Penn' I will happily transcribe the whole piece and send via PM.

This is fantastic! Hannah was my great grandmother Jane Moore's -nee Penn sister.My Dad had told me she died very soon after retiring.I recently visited Maryport to take pictures of Hannah's house. Didn't know her brother was a footballer, very interesting thank you.I'm a teacher too!