Author Topic: Magical Mystery Tour: The Rediscovered Life of Thomas Fellows WALTON (1833-1884)  (Read 46868 times)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Mystery Tour: The Rediscovered Life of Thomas Fellows WALTON (1833-1884)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 February 11 09:38 GMT (UK) »
The Taranaki Mounted Volunteers

Walton’s medal application suggests that he joined the Taranaki Mounted Volunteers (aka Taranaki Cavalry Volunteers) in 1863 or 1864. At this time the unit was commanded by the highly capable Captain Francis Joseph MACE, later to be awarded the New Zealand Cross. Born in Madeira in 1837, MACE was educated in England, and arrived in New Plymouth in 1856 with his parents aboard the barque St. Michael. Mace volunteered for military service in 1860 and eventually joined the Mounted Volunteers as orderly to Col. Carey. He eventually reached the rank of Captain and took command of the Taranaki Mounted Volunteers which under his leadership was described by the Defence Minister, Col. HAULTAIN, as second to none in the colony.
(Source: The Cyclopedia of New Zealand (Taranaki, Hawke’s Bay and Wellington Provincial Districts).
http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-Cyc06Cycl-t1-body1-d1-d27-d60.html

The Fitzwilliam Museum (UK) provided this description of the role of the Taranaki Mounted Volunteers in an extract from a biography of Trooper Antonio RODRIQUEZ, who was awarded the New Zealand Cross for gallantry at the Battle of Poutoko (Allen’s Hill) on 2 October 1863:
"The Taranaki Rifle and Mounted Volunteers had the distinction of being the first mounted troops to be used in New Zealand and were noted from the outset of the wars for their gallantry and efficiency....The duties of the Mounted Volunteers were various but included carrying dispatches and orders to and from the commanding officers of the various regiments and companies involved in the fighting. They were often involved in rescuing wounded and at times drawn into actual engagement with the enemy. They were equipped with carbines, revolvers and sword, and were instructed by NCOs from the Imperial Cavalry."
(Source: The Fitzwilliam Museum.)
Quoted from: LESUMA, G. (2008). Antonio Rodriquez. Also known as Antonio Rodriquez de SARDINHA. New Zealand Cross and New Zealand War Medal. Not published.
http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/dept/coins/exhibitions/NZCross/NZCross.html

According to New Zealand Medal to Colonials (10th ed.) the Taranaki Mounted Volunteers fought as a unit in a number of actions between 1860 and 1865, with 39 medal claims made.

If WALTON was in this unit between c'1863-c'1866 he presumably fought in some of these actions, but if so he did not list any of them in his medal application.

So, question time:

Can anyone provide any information about the Taranaki Mounted Volunteers, specifically when it was formed or disbanded? Does anyone know if there is a published history of the unit?

I have emailed the Taranaki Museum in the hope that they may be able to assist but if anyone has any information I'd  be keen to read it.

That's it for tonight. Can't rush a good story... ;D

ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Magical Mystery Tour: The Rediscovered Life of Thomas Fellows WALTON (1833-1884)
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 February 11 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Re Taranaki Mounted Volunteers

Don't overlook the Australian digitised newspapers !

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13115098 26 June 1865 SMH, Trooper O'Neill mortally wounded

Also, from my experiences in family history, when it involves the Military, then they abbreviate, so it is possible that the Taranaki Mounted Volunteers would be referred to as the TMV. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 February 11 11:42 GMT (UK) »
http://vernon.npdc.govt.nz/search.do?id=265030&db=object&view=detail

Could be there's a history of the unit  ;D, there's certainly a Scroll with their Battle Honours, 1860-1866

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 February 11 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Majm,

I hadn't thought about the Australian papers! Thanks for the link.

The second link you sent appears to be defunct, unfortunately.

Thanks very much.

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 February 11 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Wow that first link is great!  Wouldn't it be wonderful if we had a 'fix the text' button for the computer generated text on papers past!!!  I like the layout too  :D
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 February 11 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't resist - I signed up and corrected the text back to the original spelling mistakes ;) (I'm 'Novice' on that site) ;)
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 February 11 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Majm,

Where/How did you find a reference to a Battle Scroll?

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 February 11 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Found it...Puke Ariki.
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 February 11 08:11 GMT (UK) »
That second link provided by Majm wasn't defunct after all. My work server must have blocked it.

Thanks very much Majm. A fascinating discovery.

Spades
HEALEY - IRL?
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG