Author Topic: ROBERTSON of Blairgowrie (2)  (Read 3797 times)

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROBERTSON of Blairgowrie (2)
« on: Saturday 26 February 11 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Corporal ROBERT ROBERTSON b 1817 Blairgowrie married Janet PAGE in 1842 and then they sailed with the 99th Foot Regiment to Australia. Their five children are:
Robert Robertson born at sea 1843, recorded with NSW BDM
Nicholas Robertson born Parramatta, 1845 recorded with NSW BDM
Alexander Robertson born Parramatta, 1847 recorded with NSW BDM
Mary Elizabeth Robertson born Hobart, 1849 recorded with Tasmanian BDM
James Anderson Robertson born Hobart, 1853 recorded with Tasmanian BDM

Alexander marries Mary S TURNBULL in Glasgow in 1871 and dies in Largs in 1917
James became a Reverend at Muthill and marries a 'Mary' in Scotland. May have died around 1921
Does anyone know what might have become of the other 3 children?
'Dundee' thinks they were all back in Perthshire by 1861.Did they and their parents all return to Scotland? And 'Aussie 1947' has traced a Nicholas in Glasgow. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERTSON of Blairgowrie (2)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 February 11 16:41 GMT (UK) »
hi  :)

looks like nicholas married eliza dea 1864 glasgow lanark(IGI)

2 children showing to nicholas robertson and eliza dea(IGI)
elizabeth ann robertson b. 1866 hutchesontown glasgow
jessie page robertson b. 1873 tradeston glasgow

1881 english census(IGI)
nicholas robertson 35 born sydney australia and family looks a good match

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 February 11 17:43 GMT (UK) »
robert robertson marriage to agnes campbell 1866 glasgow lanark(IGI)

born to parents with those names(IGI)
robert robertson b.1867 glasgow lanark
jane robertson b1868 glasgow
jessie page robertson b. 1870 greenock renfrew
james campbell robertson b. 1872 greenock

1881 scotland census
govan lanark
robert robertson 38 brass finisher born at sea
with wife agnes and children that seem to match

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much ev, and many apologies for my delay in acknowledging your sterling efforts, greatly appreciated! I can only put it down to 'A Seniors Moment', and my confusion about understanding that the whole family must have returned to Scotland.
At least it means I can stop looking for any of them in Australia!
Have you any advice about how I find out if Robert Snr, who would have been about 44 at the time he pops up on the 1861 Census, would have got his army pension when he returned to Perth from Hobart, or would he have to wait until age 65 or something? I'm intrigued that in his letter of 1845 he mentions earning 9 pence a day, and has a wife and 2 children, and by 1856, with 5 children, he's still in the army, but he's managed to send his brother 100 pounds!

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 08:17 GMT (UK) »
given his length of service in the army i think he would have been entitled to
a pension from the time he left
he may be noted on the census as a chelsea pensioner
at 9 old pennies a day £100 would be about 8 years wages(i think)
perhaps he had other "investment opportunities" in australia

i see from your australia post that robert robertson is indeed noted as a
chelsea pensioner on the 1861 perth scotland census

ev

Offline JEM91

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 May 19 17:23 BST (UK) »
Can anyone shed any light on the deaths of 3 generations of Robert Robertson?

Robert Robertson (x1) born in Blairgowrie, Scotland on 25 June 1817, married to Janet ‘Jessie’ Page.  He was alive when his son married in 1866 and deceased by 1887 when his wife died.

His eldest son Robert Robertson (x2) was born at sea in 1843 and married Agnes Campbell in 1866.

Hi son Robert Robertson (x3) was born in Glasgow on 22 January 1867 and married Jane Boyd Bruce in 1889. He was still alive in 1938 when his wife died. Robert was a dentist living in Durham at the time of his marriage.

Robert (x3) and Jane had 4 children: Jane and Maud (both born in England) and Robert and Agnes (both born in Scotland).

Maud was my husband’s grandmother – known as Nana Fulton.  She was born in 1891 and married to Archibald Fulton in 1911. She died in 1962.

I have read through various threads of chat relating to the Robertson family and we are hoping someone can help with information relating to their deaths - fingers crossed.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 May 19 18:14 BST (UK) »
James Anderson Robertson married Mary Weir in Glasgow in 1894. I don't know if this is your one or not, but a look at that marriage certificate at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk would settle that.

James Anderson Robertson, aged 69, died in Stirling in 1922. Muthill is not far from Stirling. Mary Anderson Robertson, other surname Weir, died in Muthill in 1919, aged 60. Again, a look at the death certificates at Scotland's People will tell you if they are the right people.

I don't find any reference to James Anderson Robertson in the general index at https://ecclegen.com/general-index-general-index/ which suggests that he was not a Presbyterian reverend. Nor is he listed in David Bertie's book 'Scottish Episcopal Clergy' so he can't have been an Episcopalian. And of course he can't have been Catholic because he got married. That leaves very few possible denominations for him to have been a minister of. Perhaps his death certificate will shed some light.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 May 19 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian, thanks for the post. don't know why no mention re being a Scottish Episcopalian, which he certainly was. I attach a summary as given to me: Doctor James Anderson Robertson graduated in 1885 from Glasgow University. His first wife Amy, the mother of 5 of his children died in 1892 and he married Mary in 1894. In 1907 he took holy orders. A letter in Bishop of Glasgow & Galloway papers say’s ‘He is a cricketer of some repute and a golfer’. Made deacon in 1907 and is curate at St. Mary’s Cathedral Glasgow. Bishop wants him to go to Africa but his Doctor advises no. He is Secretary to Medical and other missions from 1907 -1914.
Moves to St. Martin’s West Acton, London 1914 -1915 then made Rector of St. James Muthill, Perthshire 1915 – 1920. Also Priest in Charge at Rosyth RN Dockyard on Firth of Forth 1917 – 1918. Bishop offers him a church in Glasgow but he declines, does not agree with local Vestry who run raffles etc. Retired in 1920 and went to Canada that summer to visit son Eric who emigrated there, returning in 1921. Died 1922.

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 May 19 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hello JEM91, thanks for the post it has given me some new information to add to my files. I have RR (3) as being a plumber, not a dentist, but can't find where I got that, presumably from a census form. However his Uncle Alexander Robertson and cousin Alexander Robertson both became dentists, so he may have changed course.