Author Topic: Ancestor in the Indian Army  (Read 3963 times)

Offline saltbath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestor in the Indian Army
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 March 12 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol

Richard George is my grandfather.
Have you found the information you were looking for?

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 March 12 23:35 GMT (UK) »
I think you'll find him by searching here:

http://archive.sandhurstcollection.org.uk/

Service records for army personnel retiring after 1922 are still with the Ministry of Defence. Start from this link http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

If you use the link given in an earlier post on this thread you can try following the unit histories and the War Diaries which with luck will be at the National Archives. Indeed if you're lucky you'll find he wrote or signed them himself
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello GrahamSimons

Thank you for your reply to my query and for providing links for me to research on.  I have looked at the Sandhurst link so far and have found who I think is the right person and will now go ahead and search on the Nat. Archives.  Thanks for your help

Regards
Carol
Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Saltbath

It was a pleasant surprise to receive your message.  Richard George was one of the sons of my great great aunt Mary Allingham, whose sister Susan was my great grandmother.  I know Richard had an elder brother who died in World War 1.  I think Mary  Allingham George and her husband William had eight children in all.  I have found a certain amount of information about Richard from the posts on this site and gather he spent most of his career in India, returning to England in 1947.  I would be interested to hear anything about his career and in particular his polo-playing days if you have knowledge of them.

Thanks for replying to my query
Regards
Carol
Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline saltbath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 March 12 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol

Very interesting to hear about the Allingham family and Mary is my great grandmother.  The information about Richard is correct, he had 2 brothers and 5 sisters and that his career was mostly in India and during WW1 and WW2.  He was Captain of the English Polo Team and no 1 player, he played at Meadowbrook, Long Island, USA and Hurlingham, London among other places.

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello saltbath

Thanks for the further information about your grandfather - he must have had a very eventful life.  It's interesting that both our great grandmothers were sisters.  I don't know if you're aware that Mary and Susan also had a brother, Robert Allingham, born 1869 in Co. Sligo.  He served in the Royal Irish Rifles between about 1887 and 1908.

Carol
Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline saltbath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 March 12 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol

Interesting to find out about Robert Allingham.  Richard's brother Robert was probably named after him and this name has been carried on down the family - now I know where it came from - or maybe it goes back even further in the family.

Going back to the polo, of course it's hard to conceive these days how much time and effort must have gone into doing that.  The team spent weeks and months travelling to places by ship with their horses and were away for long periods of time.  No doubt it was mostly good fun but as with any sport, particularly with polo, injuries would have been sustained along the way.

Offline CanadaPrairiegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 April 12 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hello from Canada

I am try to find out about my grandfather's family. My grandfather was Laurence Frank Cahill.  He came to Canada in 1921 and died in 1928 in Montreal.  I have his baptismal form - born in 1893 in Quetta, West Bengal, India. His parents were Micheal Cahill and Annie Louise Pannell.  His father was in the Lig & Ord Dept.  My grandfather listed on his marriage certificate his mother was deceased when he married in 1923.  On his immigration papers he stated that is father was Major Michael Cahill living at Loomdula Cottage, Askeation, Limerick Co. Ireland in 1921.

I also found on Ancestry.ca a listing for Michael Cahill 22 Dec. 1901  Warrant Officer, Ordnance Dept., Northern Army, Fort William, Quetta, India.  I think this is my great grandfather.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Prairiegirl   :)
Grandfather:  Laurence Frank Cahil born 1893 Quetta, West Bengal, india
Great Grandfather:  Michael Cahill - Warrant Officer, Ordnance Dept, Northern Army, Fort William, Quetta, India  1901.    1921 Living in Askeation, Limerick Co.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 April 12 10:33 BST (UK) »
You would be better off starting a new thread. A number of people will not bother reading your post as they will be put off that it is number 16 in a thread.

Do you know when/where he was born? Michael Cahill is too common a name to search for his record as an 'Other Rank' on Findmypast.

There was an Army Ordnance Department in 1893. But I do not know what 'lic &' may stand for. There was also an Army Ordnance Corps. Either way I cannot find a Michael Cahill getting a commission - http://www.gazettes-online.co.uknAdvancedSearch.aspx?geotype=London

Sergeant Major was a warrant officer rank so maybe the Sergeant bit was lost.

btw...is Laurence in the 1911 Irish census as a draper's assistant in some kind of institution - aged 16 born in India?

Ken