Author Topic: WOOLLEY Relatives  (Read 3623 times)

Offline nzglenda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WOOLLEY Relatives
« on: Sunday 27 February 11 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi , I am trying to find some branches to my tree that have a caroline chivers and I think a george woolley  who came to NZ .
 Also a william woolley on another line who was born in cambridge england in or about 1775 to jane melton and william woolley.
Also looking for info on a thomas woolley and sarah falkner or faulkner . I think Thomas was a half  brother to william  jnr. (elizabeth avory - mother) This is possibly wrong as it appears that both wives of william snr had sons named william  ??? Anyone who can shed any light on the confusion  ??? or any info on caroline and george or the martin family that may be connected to these people, jane , william (any of them ) greatly appreciated . I have a fair amount  of woolley tree info to swap if anyone is interested   :) thanks

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WOOLLEY Relatives
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 February 11 04:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glenda,
Maybe we could start with the WOOLLEY/CHIVERS couple.

What do you know about them and where you get the information?

Were you thinking they came from Australia, and do you have any dates at all?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 February 11 05:00 GMT (UK) »
I wonder whether this submitted record from

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp

is relevant.

The spouse though is WILLIAM not GEORGE

Caroline Chivers     

Birth:  1809 at Wiltshire, England

Death  10 JUN 1892 at   Upper Moutere, Nelson, New Zealand  
 Burial at     Appleby Anglican Churchyard,Nelson

Marriage
Spouse  William WOOLLEY
About 1833 in England

Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 February 11 05:20 GMT (UK) »
This link from the NZ papers is a death notice for the woman I mentioned above and confirms her husband as WILLIAM

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c27/

Sue

Offline nzglenda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 February 11 05:46 GMT (UK) »
hi
yes you would be right there thanks heaps  (I think george may be a martin or woolley or there may be one of each am working on that one  ) and yes my next question is who were the parents  of william ?  this is on a line that is not my direct line( to my knowledge) but if I can link this up it will fill in a lot of gaps between the branches  as I am quite convinced that the at least two sets of Woolley families in NZ are directly related but on different branches (and from back in england) but not too far back if that makes any sense . I am looking to track this particular williams line to england by at least 2x g grandparents which is about where I feel they may connect with my line some how. I have no proof of this yet but just a strong feeling and a few leads to point this way. Still may turn out to be wrong but always worth a look .  :-\ :)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 February 11 06:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glenda,

I wonder if you are trying to do a little too much research all at once.

You may find you get better results by focussing on one aspect of your search at a time. For instance you could as thoroughly as possible sort out this WILLIAM and CAROLINE to start with and then move forward

Also those trying to help you find it easier if you approach it this way.

Now, are you able to answer the questions in Relpy #1 please.

Sue

Offline nzglenda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 February 11 06:31 GMT (UK) »
I think you are probably right but have run out of stuff on my line and am trying to fill in branches and have a lot but have huge gaps too .
Caroline and william I believe came straight from england to NZ but I cannot be 100% sure . Info from (so far IGI and chivers tree and snippets from net ) not much really . I do have a few williams with no partners or kids and have to wonder if one of them are this william this is why I am so interested in his parents. There are a lot of family names IE william in all lines so its quite confusing . It is possible a brother george and a nancy martin may have come to NZ with them or about the same time again not sure. appreciate your help but totally understand if you throw your hands in the air and scream and run lol lol . ; ;D thanks  Would really love to know about william b1775 to jane melton and william woolley as I cannot find a thing on him and he is on my line lol. oops there I go again sorry lol.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 February 11 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes Glenda. There does seem to be a good deal of confusion.

Is there a reason for posting your request on the Australian board?

I am not experienced with NZ searching, but I do see a death which may be WILLIAM's

In 1888 REG 807   Woolley,    William  Aged 75Y

It is clear from his wife's newspaper death notice that he died before her, so it is a likely one..

If you were to order the certificate, you would perhaps find his parents' names.

Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 February 11 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glenda,

Supporting Sue's posts

Just in the inner Sydney area, and in 1867, there's FIVE different families with the surname WOOLLEY ...
they were in Newtown, The Rocks *(that's where the Harbour Bridge is), Waterloo, Alexandria and Pyrmont. 

I have not ventured further, but there's the rest of Sydney, and there's the rest of NSW and the other states/territories too...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.