Author Topic: Thomas WALTON  (Read 8783 times)

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas WALTON
« on: Sunday 27 February 11 11:58 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to confirm who my Great Great Grandfather married. I have searched all of the records and I know that he marries an Elizabeth based on the census returns. The Thomas Walton in 1881 is certainly correct, as he was a professor of music, which is confirmed by my great grandfather's marriage certificate. He was born about 1838 and was in the staffordshire/ wolverhampton/ west bromwich area. According to the 1881 he was married to Elizabeth, and I have one side of the family who think he married Elizabeth Morton/ Moreton. The problem I have is that a Thomas Walton did marry a Elizabeth Morton in 1867, but I don't think this is the one. I have got two marriage certificates, one for an Elizabeth Mor(e)ton and one for Elizabeth Brooks, but the more I look at them the more I think they are wrong.
The next stage I am at, and this is my question... could it be possible that Thomas Walton married an Elizabeth in 1859, which would fit, but on the marriage register it would list her as Sarah Elizabeth Walton. Normally, don't the registers have the maiden name? I have come across second names being used as their main name later in censuses so despite having Sarah as a listed name, it could well be the correct one. They refer to the same volume, and I have checked that the other two people on the same page did marry each other... therefore according to the marriage record... Thomas Walton married Sarah Elizabeth Walton.
I assume the only way of confirming is to order the certificate?

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas WALTON
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 February 11 12:10 GMT (UK) »
This may sound a bit simplistic,but the usual way to find out a woman's maiden name is to get the birth cert of one of their children!

Sarah Elizabeth and Thomas could have been cousins- my grandparents were,and therefore both had the same surname before and after marriage  ;D

Another way of finding a maiden name(if you're very lucky) is to find one of her rellies living with them on later censuses.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 February 11 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Probably, unless you have one of their children's birth cert which should give you mother's maiden name.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 February 11 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Oops!  Snap Carol x

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 February 11 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Oops!  Snap Carol x

Great minds think alike  ;D

Have also added a dead jammy option  :P

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 February 11 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm, there is a Thomas Walton married to a Sarah E on the 1881 census.  He is a lock manufacturer in Birmingham, but both Thomas and Sarah were born in Wolverhampton so may have married there.  Oldest child on 1881 is 17

RG11; Piece: 2992; Folio: 53; Page: 3

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 February 11 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Good idea with the birth certificates.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 February 11 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1881 census return for your Thomas Walton, they have two boarders - RObert and Phoebe Morton aged 65 and 69 - about the right age to have a daughter aged 41 (Elizabeth's age on the 1881)

Offline Jimvin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 February 11 12:35 GMT (UK) »
That's one of the reasons where the Morton bit comes from, and I believe my cousin in NZ has a birth certificate which says Morton. The problem is I cannot find a marriage which fits... 1867 could be but seems to be 7 years or so too late.